25

The elder Warlock looked up toward the others who had entered his cell. In particular to the two young boys who were in the room with him. He watched as the oldest of them moved toward a switch and flipped it, the shackles around his hands released and he fell to the ground. Toland looked up from the ground of his cell, and he noticed the two older guardians walked over and picked him up. He looked over to his left at the woman who held him over her shoulder. She was young, perhaps only in her thirties, the man on his right, however, was much harder to read.  

"How....did you find me?" He asked his voice coarse and weak. 

"We located you using the key to your cell," James replied to his inquiry. 

"The Vanguard.....they banished me....for what purpose would they send you here?" He asked his voice barely a whisper. 

"We will tell you once we get out of here," He replied as the two warlocks pulled out a handcannon in each hand that they had spare and started walking Toland out. Toland looked and noticed how the two young boys were at the point with their weapons out front. 

"Dad, we're clear," David told him as they continued moving forward. Toland looked at the two confusedly, how long had it been? Apparently so long that the Vanguard started using children as guardians. They appeared to be mature and confident, however, not careless. Their demeanor suggested that they have been doing this for a long time. The group kept moving through the areas that they had just traveled. He remembered what he had done to seal Crota away; he made a deal with the Handmaidens of Savathûn to learn their dark arts. In return, he promised not to use his new powers against the Hive. A deal, which he broke a hundred years later to seal Crota. 

"Father.....and son....how long has it been?" Toland asked them. 

"Fifty-five years, give or take," James replied. 

"Fifty-five....how much has changed.." He noted as they kept moving to get out of the Asylum. 

"A lot has." He replied stoically as they finally were able to transmat up to James' ship. The two boys moved to the front of the ship while Nova and James walked Toland to the bed in the back. The two lay him down on the cushiony surface as the ship took off toward the Tower. Toland looked around for a moment; it had been much too long since he'd slept in a bed, much less felt anything short of hard as a rock. He felt comforted by the plushness of the bed. 

"Why...have you brought me out?" He asked leaning up. Nova walked over and sat down on one end of the bed and took her helmet off. She looked over to Toland after setting her helmet down on the ground. 

"Oryx took my daughter, Toland, I need your help to bring her back," Nova told him forthright. James and Nova both waited for an answer from the Warlock, hoping that he had something to say. 

"You wish to reverse the corruption?" Toland asked as he sat up. 

"We do. More than anything." James replied. Toland sat there and thought about what he had said. He placed his hand upon his chin and began to stroke his beard in thought. Considering how this could be done in the first place if it could be done at all. He looked up at the two of them in thought. 

"I am uncertain if I can." He replied softly. Nova looked at Toland with her eyes ablaze with anger as she walked up from the bed and grabbed the old Warlock by the collar of his robes.

"You listen here...we busted our assess to get you out of there. I am not in the mood to hear, "I'm uncertain" you are going to try dang it! Otherwise, I will jettison you out of this ship and leave you for the black holes! Got it!" She shouted tossing him back into the bed's headboard. James eyed her angrily as the ship began to fly down to the surface of the Earth. James tapped her shoulder, and the two headed out to the cockpit of the ship.