Chapter Nine: Quaking

"Do you mind if I borrow your car charger?" Kol asks, glancing at me. I roll my eyes and unplug it from my phone. I hand it to him and he grins at me. "Thanks."

I nod and look over at Damon who's too busy gawking out the window.

"How much longer till we get there do you suppose?" Kol asks Klaus.

"Not much longer," Elijah replies instead of Klaus. "We're really close."

"Good, because I'm tired of being stuffed in this back seat with the two of them," Kol groans.

"You're tired?!" I gasp.

Kol smirks.

"I've had to put up with you taking a bunch of selfies and telling me to push over because you don't want me in the shot. And I'm tired of having Damon constantly snoring in my ear and drooling on my shoulder," I scoff.

"You enjoyed it," Damon chuckles.

"You're gross."

"Can we all just shut up?" Klaus growls from the drivers seat.

At this, Klaus, Kol and Damon start going at each other as I stay silent in between it all. Kol doesn't like being told to be quiet and Damon doesn't like Klaus period.

It would be a lot more funny if Rebekah were in this car?

Why don't I just join Rebekah and Marcel in their car?

Because it's not as much fun and you know it.

Ugh, why does my conscience have to be right all the time?

Just then I receive a text from Renesmee. I quickly open it and read

-when are you guys getting here?

I decide to ignore it, not really in the mood to explain what the heck is going on inside this car. Quite frankly, I'm not really sure what's going on. I put my phone back in my pocket and look up to see Klaus looking at me through the rear view mirror.

I send him a small smile.

Consequences

The word rings inside my head. What did Esther mean when she said that? I haven't done anything to her.. well, I did defend her children, but I've known them practically my whole life! They took me in when nobody else would. They showed me love and compassion. A love that only a family can have.

"Dylan, is everything alright?" Elijah asks, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm just daydreaming," I reply.

"Are you sure? You've been acting differently ever since we stopped at Joe's and you went out to go for that walk. Did something happen? Did someone visit you?" Elijah continues.

"No, nothing happened. I-I've just been feeling really sick. Like, I may have the flu or something.." I say, trying to come up with something to cover up the fact that I'm really stressed out about the threat Esther made at me.

"Well, after tonight, there won't be anymore stops because we're gonna be really close to arriving. You can rest once we reach the hotel," Klaus speaks up.

Damon looked down at me concerned. In return, I send him a reassuring smile. His features doesn't looked convinced, but he decides not to say anything about it.