Chapter 5: Friends

I walk inside the school building and head straight to reception. The lady behind the desk smiled at me and started gathering papers.

"You must be the new student. Dylan Mikaelson, right?" The lady asks, turning toward the computer right beside her. I nod and watch as she types something on the computer and a piece of paper comes out the printer.

"Alright, here's your schedule and a map of the school. If you have any questions, you can just come back and ask. What's your first class?" The lady explains.

"Um, art history," I say, showing her the paper.

"That will be on the third floor," the lady says. "A staircase is just around the corner and you should be able to find the art room quite easily."

"Thank you," I say, walking out of the reception office. I head toward the staircase and walk up them.

I reach the third floor and begin walking down the long hallway. Some parts of the wall have been painted to look like pictures and there's art pieces hung up everywhere. I look down at the schedule and see that the art history room is number 412.

I look at every door that I walk by and look too see which number they are. I finally reach 412 and knock on the door.

A student walks over to the door and opens it. I smile and thank them. I walk into the room and see a teacher sitting at a desk in the corner. I take a deep breath and walk over to him.

"Hi, I'm new here," I say, standing in front of his desk.

"Oh, hello. Nice to meet you..?" He says, standing from the desk and comes to stand in front of me.

"I'm Dylan Mikaelson."

"Nice to meet you Dylan. I'm Mr. Franco," he says holding out a hand.

I place my hand in his and slowly shake it. "Nice to meet you too." I hand him my schedule and he looks it over, nodding.

"Welcome to my class. We don't really do that much of hard work. We make art based on history. You got it?" He asks, handing me my schedule back. "You can take a seat anywhere you'd like."

I nod and walk to the back of the classroom. I sit down at a table where there's only one other girl. I pay no attention to her and I sit down in the plastic chair. I take a sketch book out of my backpack and just doodle.

Mr. Franco comes over to the table and takes a seat beside me.

"You don't have to do anything since you're two weeks late. Next week we start another project, so until then you can just do whatever. Just keep your cell phone in your backpack. Okay?" He asks.

"Yeah," I reply, looking away from him.

He stands up from the chair and walks back over to his desk. I sigh and look up to see the girl sitting across from me staring.

"What are you looking at?" I ask.

"You're weird," she replies, staring intently at me. "I don't know, but you're different from us and I'm gonna find out why."

"Stay the fuck away from me," I growl.

Just then the bell rings and I look down at my schedule that I now have gym class. I get up from the table and leave the classroom.

"Hey!" I hear as I notice footsteps heading toward me. I turn around and see these two girls coming up to me. I contemplate on whether or not to just turn around and act like I didn't hear them or just wait for them to reach me.