XXVII

I'm getting married today. Today! For real this time. Stevie and I decided we didn't want to wait too long. Although, like any other woman, she's been dreaming about this day, so she took it upon herself to plan our wedding. Today is exactly three months since I proposed. 

When Stevie told me to pack a bag and find somewhere to stay for the night, I laughed. I mean, we've been living together, we have kids. She wants to be traditional now? However, I wasn't going to fight her on it, it's not a big deal. Since I sold the loft I used to live in, my choices were a hotel room or my parents' home. I didn't want to sleep at the hotel. 

My parents... it took them some time to warm up to Stevie again. She was patient, she left it up to my parents to let her back in. What hurt me more though was that they didn't ask to meet their grandchildren as soon as they found out they had a grandson and a granddaughter. The kids are innocent in all this. When Mom and Dad finally saw Aster and Kai for the first time, their opinion changed about the whole situation. My father told me that I'm doing the right thing, marrying Stevie, when I told them we're engaged.

"Any surprises this time?" My mom asks, a smirk on her face. 

"No." Shaking my head, I tell her. "No, this time I will leave that church a married man."

"About time, son." She adds and I smile at my mother, looking at her sat beside me in the backseat of my Dad's car. 

Everything so far is very much like the time I almost married Kristen, yet, it's so different as well. Now, I can't wait to see Stevie, coming my way. I want to take her hand in mine, tell her how beautiful she is and face the priest to be married. I'm not nervous, I'm excited. This feels right.

When I approach my spot at the altar, Aster calls me, clapping her hands excitedly, a wide grin on her face. Barbara tries to shush her, but my girl is giddy with excitement. Okay, now I'm starting to get a bit nervous. What if Stevie doesn't come my way in the next ten minutes or so? What if she changed her mind? I'd be crushed, I wouldn't know how to go on with my life if she walked out on me again. 

That's not about to happen, however. Moments later, Stevie appears with Jess and they slowly make their way down the aisle. I'm grinning like an idiot, but I don't care. I have to fight back against running towards her. My palms are getting sweaty and hopefully no one notices, when I wipe the on my dress pants, before Stevie and Jess are right there in front of me. 

"Take care of her." Jess gives me a stern look, but his face the softens and he smiles. 

I'm absolutely taken with Stevie, when I look at her at last. God, she's so beautiful... and she's mine. She's the love of my life, she's the mother of my children and soon she'll be my wife.

"Dearly beloved..."

No interruptions. No one comes up with a reason why we shouldn't be married. We exchange our vows, with trembling hands I put the ring on Stevie's finger and she does the same to me. Neither of us can stop smiling, Stevie's eyes well up with tears and I want to wipe them away, but I patiently wait until we're pronounced husband and wife. 

 "You may kiss the bride."

And I do. No holding back! Right now, it's just Stevie and I, when I cradle her face in my hands and capture her lips. The kiss isn't a simple peck on the lips, it's passionate and I don't want to stop. Unfortunately, Stevie is the one to pull back, her cheeks have turned a shade of pink, she looks down. I bring her hand to my lips and kiss her wedding ring.

I said, I was going to leave the church a married man and I did!

"Can we skip the reception?" I ask, my arm around Stevie's shoulders. We're on our way to the party.

"No, we can't." She shakes her head. "Don't you want to thank and spend time with our guests, who came to witness this important day of our lives?"

"Fine. But we're leaving as soon as we can and I'm taking you straight to bed!" I'm not joking and to show her I'm serious, I lean in and kiss her neck, so tempted to leave a mark. She'd kill me.

"Sure thing if you're not wasted by then." Stevie giggles and lays her head on my shoulder.

"Nope, I won't have a single drop."

She laughs at that. Loudly.

When we arrive, the majority of the guests, who attended the ceremony, are already at the venue we have chosen for our reception. Once everyone has finally congratulated us, I already feel exhausted. Dinner is then served and I'm glad to be sitting down. We decided not to have some kind of particular order of the evening, people are free to do what they want. The only thing Stevie wanted was to have our first dance. And we do, to the song she's chosen. Others join the dance floor soon and I take Stevie by the hand, leading her away for a few minutes. She's my wife and I haven't had any time alone with her yet really.

"I thought, we could at least enjoy a glass of champagne together." I hold two flutes and offer one to her.

"You said, you won't have single drop tonight." She teases.

"Yeah, well." I shrug. "One won't hurt"

"I can't." Stevie says, shaking her head.

"Why not?" I ask, not really taking the time to think about it.

"Because I'm pregnant."

I chock on the champagne, when the words come out. Stevie's biting her lip, trying not to laugh, while I stare at her wide eyed. 

"We're expecting, Linds. Nine weeks." She smiles at me, her palm on her yet nonexistent belly.

I don't fight it, when I feel the sting of tears. They're free fallin' down my face, when I embrace my wife and hold her close. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too." She whispers, a wave of emotions hitting her too. "This time, we can do it together."

I nod, then lift my head up from the curve of her neck and kiss her lips. From now on - together. Always.

THE END

~

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! I had no idea where I was going to go with this story at first, but I absolutely fell in love with it and it's been one of my favorites to write. Also, a huge thank you to rulersmakebadlovers ♥