XI

Damn Kristen! For that short period of time this morning I was living out my fantasy of Stevie and I having a family together... As soon as Kristen appeared, Stevie basically ignored me from that point on. I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that she was playing that same dangerous game of pretend as well. 

It's midday now. The sun is out and all of us are out in the backyard. Alan is chasing Aster and Kai around, while I try my hardest not to scowl. Kristen is in the pool and Stevie's with her journal on the lounger next to me. I keep glancing at her and she hasn't looked back at me once. God... this is torture!

"Mommy, can we get in the pool, too?" Aster runs up to Stevie, who closes her most prized possession and lift her sunglasses up, resting them on top of her head.

"Well, you can't be in it alone." 

Kristen's swimming around, but I'm a hundred percent sure that isn't enough for Stevie. Alan's never been much of a water fan. I, on the other hand, was on the swim team back in school, but I can't exactly raise my hand to look be the one looking after her children. It's just Stevie and I, who know. 

"You could join us!" Aster claps her hands together excitedly and Stevie shakes her head.

"I don't think so, honey. You know I don't like being in the sun much." 

Bullshit, she's concerned about her body. And there's nothing to be concerned about. This morning, man... when she entered the kitchen wearing only her nightgown... She doesn't know how sexy she is, in my eyes anyway and that's never been a good enough argument.

"Please, Mommy!" Aster pouts, her hands clasped as she's staring at Stevie with pleading eyes. 

Hesitating a minute longer, Stevie sighs. "I'm going to go change, give me a few minutes."

"Yes! Okay!" Aster squeals and runs to her brother, giving him the good news.

I can't help it. My mind leaves with Stevie and I start imagining her undressing, her completely naked-

"Whew! That was a nice swim." Kristen feels like she has to tell me, slumping down on my left. "It's strange you didn't join me."

"I don't feel like it today." I shrug and keep my mouth shut, while Kristen begins talking my ear off.

Shortly, Stevie comes outside again and I gulp. I realize I'm staring and so is Alan, who's the first to speak up. "Whoa, babe!"

Babe is alright! Jesus... Stevie fitted herself into a black one piece, which shows off of her curves perfectly. I can finally see her legs too, those delicious hips of hers. My eyes travel up and fixate on her chest and I suddenly have to adjust myself. 

"You're going to make me blush." She's already blushing, Alan coming to stand by her side in only a couple of big strides. He slides his arm around her waist and presses her against himself, before kissing her. Really kissing her. 

Now I look away.

Once the show is over, Stevie takes both Aster and Kai by their hands and the three of them go into the pool. They play around and splash each other with water, the kids are giggling and Stevie's wearing the biggest grin on her face I've ever seen. My heart both, sings and aches.

"What about dinner? Will you let me take your position at the grill, Lindsey?" Alan asks, sitting down and reaching for his half empty bottle of beer.

"No way." Shaking my head I reply. "But you can make the salad." I smirk and Alan laughs heartily. 

I love my brother, I really do. We never fought that much while growing up, we always used to do stuff together. Maybe because we're so close in age, I don't know. We're always there for each other, there's nothing he can't ask of me or I of him. But never ever did I think out of all the women on this goddamn earth, he would meet Stevie. He would meet and start dating her. Most importantly, be a father to my children. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be able to keep this up. I want what he's got; I want Stevie and I want to raise our kids with her.

"Do you have a problem with Stephanie?" Alan's question takes me by surprise. He obviously was waiting for a moment we were alone too, asking me that when Kristen went inside.

"No." I shake my head. "What makes you ask that?"

"Well, you barely say a word to her and you give her these looks. It makes me uncomfortable for her."

So, he's noticed... "I can assure you, I have no problem with your girlfriend. We just don't know each other, so what should I say to her?"

"Try and get to know her maybe? It's not easy for Steph either. You could make an effort."

Giving a nod of my head, I say. "Sure, okay."

"Because she's not like any other woman I've met. I... I'm in love with her and I'm planning on asking her to marry me."