I

"A bit more to the right- too much! Bring it back to where it was!" My voice is raised, but we've been trying to get everything in order for tomorrow's exhibition since 8 am this morning and I'm getting more frustrated by how some people are unable to do such simple tasks as hanging a picture. "You know what, just leave it." I dismiss whatever his name is with a wave of my hand and go to do the job myself. With no one left except me, I attempt to do this my way myself.

Photography has always been a great passion of mine and about ten years ago it became my main focus in life. I used to take pictures of everything that caught my eye, but it didn't take me long to realize what I truly like was photographing people; taking pictures of them when they least expect it. That's when you can gauge their exact emotion. Since then I've become somewhat famous, I could say. A lot more people started attending my exhibitions, they wanted me to be the photographer at their weddings or birthday parties, or whatever else really. It brings me a lot of joy - seeing others happy. It's not something I've really experienced myself that much. 

I'm not sure how long I've been occupied for, but I get startled by my phone ringing. I take it out of my back pocket and I see it's my mother.

"Hi, Mom."

"Hello, Lindsey. I wanted to ask you not to be late tonight. Your brother is bringing along his new girlfriend, it would be rude for you to arrive in the middle of dinner." I curse silently and hear my mother's voice again. "You're thinking, what dinner, aren't you?"

"I am, sorry, Mom. You know with the exhibition opening tomorrow..."

"I know, honey, but please, spend the evening with us, alright? I'm expecting you at 7."

Sighing, I doubt I have much of a choice when she uses that sweet voice of hers. "I'll be there."

We say goodbye for now and I check the time. If I stayed at the gallery any longer, I would be late for dinner with family. Well, family, and Alan's new girlfriend. I can already imagine what the night is going to be like... You shouldn't be so involved with your work, Lindsey. Where's Kristen, Lindsey? Have you set a date, Lindsey? When are we going to be grandparents, Lindsey?

My work is my life. Kristen is just a woman I've decided would be alright to settle down with, but I'm not in love with her. Mostly, I'm still with her to please my parents. I don't want to set the date for the wedding, mainly because I don't really want to get married. Children? I'll pass.

I drive to my condo and it's nearly 6:30. I'm going to be late after all, because I must take a shower and change into clean set of clothes. While I undress, my phone starts ringing again. I check the caller's ID and it says Kristen. I choose to ignore her and jump in the shower.

Even though I'm relatively quick to leave my home once again, I'm not quick enough. My parents live not that far away, but when I arrive, it's well after 7. My mother opens the door for me, giving me a look.

"I'm sorry, Mom." I lean in to kiss her cheek and give her a quick one arm hug. "I tried."

"Didn't Kristen want to come?" My mother asks and I shrug my shoulders.

"I didn't ask."

"She's your fiancée, Lindsey." Again, I get that look. "She'll get tired of your behavior. You don't pay any attention to that poor girl."

"May I come in?" I ask, completely ignoring what my Mom just said.

Sighing, she steps aside and I enter my parents' house. "It smells delicious." A small smile appears on my face and a warm feeling fills my heart. My mother's home cooking is something I dearly miss. Kristen can't cook to save her life. 

"Alan and Stephanie are already here with your father in the family room. Be nice to her, she seems lovely." Mother warns me and probably with good reason. It's a well known fact that I scare most of my brother's chosen women away, because I simply think they're not good enough for him. 

Stopping to check my appearance in the hallway mirror, I run a hand through my curls and it doesn't do anything to tame them, so I just take in a deep breath, force a smile and enter the living room. 

"Lindsey!" My father beams and stands up to give me a hug. "I'm so glad you could join us tonight."

"I'll always find time for my family." And that's true, we've always been very close. "Alan." I nod at my brother and we shake hands firmly.

"Lindsey, this is my girlfriend, Stephanie." 

This is the first time my eyes settle on her and... and my heart skips a beat. It... no. I try to mask my shock. It can't be...

"Nice to meet you." She says, her delicate hand in mine. 

I'm probably making her uncomfortable, just staring at her, as I feel her pulling her hand from mine. 

"I- I..." I stutter. "Nice to meet you too." I finally manage, glancing at Alan, who gives me a weird look.

"Dinner is served!" I hear my mother and the five of us make our way to the dinning room.

I'm still shell shocked. Could Stephanie be the same woman I've known for a few very short weeks a couple of years ago? She doesn't look exactly the same; she's a bit fuller and now she's got blonde hair, but... but everything else, her eyes, they're her eyes.

After we eat, Mom get's up to take away the dirty plates and Stephanie offers to help. The two of them leave and I excuse myself, saying I need to use the bathroom. I'm so lost in my thoughts, I don't notice Stephanie and we nearly collide.

"I'm so sorry!" I apologize.

"It's okay." Stephanie waves it off and quickly proceeds walking back to the dinning room.

I don't know what makes me do it, but I call her by her nickname. "Stevie?"

"Yes?" She stops and turns to look at me.

"So, it is you."

I see the realization of the mistake she's made hit her and she looks flustered, stammering. "I don't know what you're talking about." She disappears from my view and I'm left standing on my own.

My brother's girlfriend Stephanie is my Stevie - the woman I've been in love with for the past six years.