II

Lindsey... I never thought I'd say him again. The second I heard his voice at his and Alan's parents' home, my heart skipped a beat. I didn't want to believe it until I saw him enter the room. What kind of sick joke is this? What were the odds for me to start dating Lindsey's brother? I hoped he wouldn't recognize me; I've gained some weight since he last saw me and I've gone back to my natural hair color, I also dress differently than several years ago, but... I knew. Once our eyes locked, I knew he wasn't fooled. I tried my best to seem like I wasn't fazed, that he was a complete stranger to me. I thought I was doing alright until I slipped - I answered to his nickname for me. 

"Is everything okay? You've been unusually quiet tonight." Alan's palm settles on my thigh, his other hand gripping the steering wheel as we're on our way to his place. 

Forcing a smile, I nod and place my hand over his. "I'm fine. A little bit tired I guess."

"So, we're going straight to bed then?" He glances at me briefly, a smirk on his face and I roll my eyes. "Only joking, babe." He then changes the subject. "I think my parents really liked you, especially Mom."

"I hope they did." I answer absentmindedly, my head leaning against the window. 

"I don't get what Lindsey's problem is though. He barely said a word and whenever I brought a woman to meet my family in the past, he'd be the first one to start the interrogation." Alan frowns and I have to think of something to take his mind off it.

"Well, didn't your brother mention something about his new exhibition opening tomorrow? Maybe he's just got a lot on his mind."

Shrugging, Alan gives a nod of his head. "Could be. By the way, I'd like it if you joined me at his gallery tomorrow night. It's not like it's Lindsey's first time, but I know he adores his work, he's proud of it, so it would mean a lot if we showed up." Swallowing a lump that formed in my throat, I shift in the passenger's seat and remain quiet. "Steph?"

"I, uh... I'm just thinking if I don't have any plans."

"Or are you coming up with something?" Alan gives me a look, which leaves me no choice but to shake my head.

"No. I'm free tomorrow. I didn't want to make empty promises."

Alan doesn't say anything to that, instead he lifts my hand up to his lips.

Seeing Lindsey again is the last thing I want to do. However, I realize I'm going to have to, especially because of my relationship with Alan. I couldn't possibly avoid him and if I tried, it would only seem weird and I don't want any questions to answer. 

"I'm going to take a shower." I tell Alan, who just got into bed, with his phone in hand. 

"Alright, I'm going to check the news and such."

The news aka Facebook. He can be so annoying with the bloody app sometimes, opening it every five minutes, knowing there's nothing new there. It gets worse, however, when he's playing all those stupid games.

With my nightgown in hand, I go to the bathroom and lock the door. It's not something I usually do, but right now I want my privacy. I want some time alone. 

Setting the water rather hot, I step into the shower and stand still for a moment. Lindsey. I saw him again. I can't believe he's back in my life. I can't... I can't believe I'm still in love with him. Our romance lasted less than a month, but it was love at first sight. At least for me it was. For those few very short weeks we did everything together, we were inseparable and I didn't want to be separated from him for a minute. He's not like any other man I had met before him or after him. He looked at me differently, he held me and kissed me differently. Making love to him... I can't describe it, it's more than just a physical connection. I know it sounds cliché, but it was like our souls were somehow connected, too. 

And before I knew it we were over. I suppose it was my fault. It was my fault, but... I decided that leaving on my own accord was better than having to deal with being rejected. Of course, I can't be sure if that would have been his initial reaction, but I was too afraid to take that chance. 

With a heavy sigh, I stop the water and slide the glass door open. I reach for a towel and wrap it around myself, before I grab another one and use it for my hair. As I approach the bedroom, I hear Alan snoring already and I frown; how long have I been gone for? Although, I'm not complaining. Tonight I just want to lie down and fall asleep. I don't want to think about Lindsey anymore and I don't want Alan asking me if I'm alright once again. He knows me and he's not easily fooled. 

I'm not that lucky as I fall into a restless sleep, dreaming of nothing but Lindsey.