VI

I feel a pair of arms wrap around me and I smile a little, while still doing the dishes after the four of us had dinner together. 

"How do you always smell so nice?" Alan asks, his front pressed up against my back, his chin resting on the top of my head. 

"Uh, I shower?" 

I know he's probably rolling his eyes. "Smartass." 

"But you still love me." 

"Of course, I love you." I feel him nod, then his lips press against my neck once, twice and then again.

"I'm a little busy." 

"I'll wait. Or I could just have my way with you like this."

Can't help but laugh at that as I shake my head. "Absolutely not. I wouldn't want either of the twins to come asking for a glass of milk, while you've got me bent over."

Alan laughs as well, presses a kiss to my cheek and moves away. "I know, sadly. But I can still bend you over in the bedroom. I'm sure we'll figure something out."

Turning my head I look at him over my shoulder and he winks, then blows me a kiss.

Alan goes to take a seat at the table, while I finish cleaning up. The second his hands are free, he takes out his phone and I hear the irritating melody of one of his games. 

"You're such a child, Alan." I shake my head at him and he shrugs. 

Then I hear what I now know is the sound of receiving a message on Facebook. Alan starts laughing and I presume he's typing a reply.

"What's so funny?" I ask, putting away the plates.

"Lindsey. He asked me whose kids I stole for that picture I took with Aster and Kai."

My mouth goes dry and I can't breath for a moment. It hasn't occurred to me that Lindsey might very well find out about the twins thanks to this stupid application. What a way to find out you're a father of two five year olds! I mean... I don't think that would be his primary conclusion, but... He's not an idiot. I'm pretty sure he can do such simple math.

"What did you say?" 

"I told him they're your children, what else?" Alan gives me a funny look. "Are you okay?"

"Fine, yeah." I shrug and turn around, busying myself with nothing. 

This can't go on for much longer. I should be the one to tell Lindsey (and Alan) the truth. It was never a problem to Alan, my kids, I know he loves them as his own, but that was until I had no idea he and Lindsey are brothers. This is the reason why I'm hesitating. How could our relationship survive after that revelation. It would be too strange. Well, it already is, but I'm the only one who knows.

"Lindsey's asking if we want to join him and Kristen for a weekend trip. Our parents have a villa." Alan adds and I try to swallow the lump in my throat, but it seems to be getting bigger. "He says, we could bring the kids too."

What am I supposed to say? No. I should say no, but then Alan is going to ask me why. What do I say to that?

"W- when?" I mumble.

"Next weekend. It could be fun, you could get to know Lindsey and his fiancée and I'm sure Aster and Kai would love to have a big backyard to run around."

 Fiancée. So, Kristen is Lindsey's fiancée. That's all I can think about. And why would Lindsey want me there if he's got his Kristen? 

"Steph? What do you think?"

"Uh..." Right, my answer. I shrug my shoulders and face Alan, crossing my arms over my chest. "Don't you think it's going to be awkward? I don't know them and I don't want to spend my weekend, making polite conversation."

"Well, like I said, you could get to know them. Kristen's a really nice girl, I'm sure you two would like each other."

Ha! Right. I'm going to get along with the woman, who's going to marry the man I'm in love with? No, don't think so. 

"I haven't spent much time together with Lindsey lately either, now that I have you to occupy me." Alan smirks, but I can't think about his sexual innuendos right now. "Come on, say yes. I'll make sure you enjoy yourself. Even if you don't want to talk to either Lindsey or Kristen, you'll still have me and the kids."

I just simply can't say no. If I do, I'll have to explain myself. Taking a deep breath, I force a smile and nod my head. "Well, alright. I'm sure the kids will be excited about going away for a few days."

"See? Of course, they will be!" Alan agrees with great enthusiasm. "Right, I'm going to tell Lindsey we're in."

"Mhm, yeah, you do that. I'm going to, uh..." Damn, what am I going to do just so I can escape. "I'm going to get ready for bed." On my way out I kiss Alan and leave. 

Jesus... to get ready for bed. I shake my head at my own self and go to the bathroom.

What on earth did I get myself into?