III

"Good morning, honey."

I wake up startled, narrowing my eyes I see Kristen approaching my bed. "Jesus, Kristen! You've got to stop doing this. You know I don't like it when you come over uninvited."

"U- uninvited? Lindsey, I'm your fiancé." She sits down, folding her arms. "I shouldn't even have to come over, we're supposed to be living together by now."

I don't mask my annoyance, throwing away the covers as I get up and walk straight to the bathroom. I should end it. I really should, but... Kristen's a sweet girl and I say girl, because she is after all ten years younger than me. She's never done anything wrong and I know she loves me, but I don't. I also have Stevie back in my life. Well, not really in my life.

When I walk out of the bathroom, I find Kristen in the kitchen, starting breakfast. Without a word, I move to make myself a cup of coffee, then sit down at the table. I'd rather be alone right now, but I think it would be a bit rude asking her to leave.

"Am I attending the opening with you or..." She trails off, letting me to decide.

"Uh, no. I'm going to spend the whole day at the gallery, so just come whenever." I shrug my shoulders. Or don't

"Doesn't sound like you even want me there."

"Kristen." I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose. "You know I get tense, so don't."

"Fine!" Throwing her hands up in the air, she abandons my breakfast and leaves my eyesight altogether, storming out of my condo with a loud slam of the door.

That went brilliantly. 

I finish my coffee and forgo breakfast. After a quick shower, I get dressed and leave my home for the last minute preparations for my exhibition's opening tonight. 

Entering the only place I truly enjoying being at, I go back into my small sort of office. Taking a seat, I put my elbows on the desk and my head in my hands. I really shouldn't even consider it, but I am. There's a picture I've hidden away for my own sake after Stevie left me or we broke up, I don't even know anymore. It's a picture of her, which you can't really tell. I know it, she does, but to everyone else it would only be a silhouette of a woman. She fought me against it, but somehow I managed to convince her and take the picture. For some reason, she was really embarrassed, while in my eyes it's... it's everything I would consider beautiful. Perfect. Stevie's body in my eyes is perfect. The picture was taken in my bedroom; Stevie standing, facing away from me, naked, her gorgeous hair cascading down her back, one arm bent at the elbow and you can guess it's on her chest, the other hand in her hair, slightly shielding her face, her feet close together on the floor, which gives the most wonderful view of her heavenly curves, her hourglass shaped figure. 

She'd kill me. I know she would and yet, I want to display this still moment front and center.

The official start is at 7, so a little before that, I take a walk around and make sure everything is where I want it to be. I decide that I'm happy and go back to my office for a change of clothes. When I return, people have started coming in and I smile, nod and exchange a quick word here and there. I've never been the one for some long boring speech, I let my work speak for itself.

I can't help but look around in hopes to see Stevie and Alan. Well, Stevie, but she wouldn't come here without him. If she's going to come in the first place. I thought Kristen would be here by now, too, but she's not and I can't say I'm disappointed. One lest thing to worry about. 

And then there she is. My mouth goes dry and I stand as if paralyzed, my eyes fixed on Stevie. She's wearing a rather short black dresses, which fits her figure very nicely, showcasing those exact delicious curves I was daydreaming about earlier, the same ones for everyone to see immediately as they walk through the door of the gallery. 

Stevie just saw it too and I think I should hide somewhere, but before I can do that, she and Alan are coming my way and I force a smile the best I can without it looking fake. 

"Thanks for coming."

"Haven't I always?" Alan holds out his hand for me to shake. "I must say, that picture over there..." He turns to show, but I know which one exactly. "It's just staring right back at you. If I had her in the room with me, taking pictures would have been the last thing on my mind." Alan laughs and I nervously scratch the back of my neck. Stevie seems mad, her lips tightly pressed together. "Doesn't look like Kristen though. She's all skin and bones."

"Yeah, uh... it's not. It's from a while ago." I shrug, not knowing what to say. "I guess, I was inspired at that very moment. Couldn't pass the opportunity."

"I'm sure you couldn't." Alan smirks and suddenly, I feel like displaying it was a massive mistake, because Stevie looks extremely uncomfortable. Alan's phone starts ringing and he excuses himself. 

It's just Stevie and me now. Alone.

"So-" I attempt to say something, but she cuts me off.

"You swore to me nobody would see it." She says through gritted teeth. "I trusted you. I can't believe it's for everyone's eyes now, when you had promised me it was for yours only."

"Stevie, I'm sorry, I-" I seem to think touching her is a good idea for a second.

"Don't." She recoils from my touch as if I burnt her skin. "And don't call me Stevie."

With that she walks away and I watch her. Sighing, I then hang my head low. If I had any chance at winning her back, now it's definitely gone.

Wait, winning her back?!