She was beautiful, in an utterly indescribable way. Although there were no age-lines or grey hair marring her face, her eyes were filled with a depth of maturity. A circlet of platinum graced her dark curls, set with diamonds that shimmered like pure water. She sat with one hand on her lap and the other clasped by her husband. The midnight-blue dress she wore was in a style unlike any human fashion. It seemed to be held onto her with magic, which allowed it to flow in ways that defied the laws of physics.

“Your Majesty, the Dragon-Rider,” Scorpius announced, pushing me forward subtly. Her eyes flickered over my torn uniform and ragged appearance. She turned to her son, who sat on a throne to her right.

“Why did you damage it!?” she demanded. “We need it in good condition!”

Her voice was seemed melodious, but once the sound reached my ears it pained and screeched like bad music turned up too loud. I gasped in shock and agony. The sound drew her attention back to me. She called me an “it”! I knew now where Lykos got his hatred for humans from.

“Excuse my impertinence, Your Highness. I have a name, and I am a she, not an it,” I said through gritted teeth.

Azure’s eyes widened in horror. The first reaction I’d seen since I entered. The silence was thick with tension as Her Majesty decided what to do with me. Then she broke into a smile and laughed. The others joined in tentatively, until she stopped abruptly.

“You have courage to address us so plainly,” she said. “An admirable quality...I just hope it doesn’t become annoying.”

Waves of immense power radiated off her. I realised that she had been restraining her aura, and was now showing me a fraction of her ability. I fell to my knees at its sheer force, which seemed to tear at my soul and physical body. Only Scorpius and Azure appeared affected. I noticed her tight grip on the arm of her throne, and the subtle way he clenched his fist. I was amazed that Queen Safeeda could control that amount of raw evil. She smiled and reigned in her power. I gasped in relief and climbed to my feet slowly.

“What do you want from me?” I asked. “You haven’t killed me yet, which means you intend to use me for something. What is it?”

Her smile turned cold.

“How observant,” she commented. “We understand why you tried to damage her, son. Have her escorted back to the dungeon. Her presence no longer amuses us.”

Some guards grabbed me and dragged me to the door. Scorpius began to follow, until Her Majesty called him back. I glanced over my shoulder and met Azure’s gaze.

“Help me,” she mouthed, before I was forced out of the throne room and back to my cell.

                                                                            ***

“Cover yourself with this and come with me, Renata,” said Scorpius. He threw a bundle of material that flopped into my lap. I shook the dark cloak open and draped the soft fabric over my shoulders. The deep hood fell to my back. He waved a hand and a rope of magic bound my wrists – again.

“I’m sorry about the restraint, but I can’t risk you escaping just yet.”

He pulled the hood over my head, casting my face in shadow and hiding m identity. He took me through past the palace kitchens and workrooms. The areas were almost deserted; the clamour of dishes being washed in one of the sculleries echoed through the passages. A lone, human boy scrubbing the floor was the only living being we crossed, but he was too engrossed on finishing his task quickly to notice us. Smells of delicious, baked pies and rich spices drifted from a kitchen. My stomach growled in protest, making me light-headed.