Eleven - Something Different

// Chapter Eleven - Something Different //

.

I couldn’t sleep. There was no use even trying. I rolled over the bed for a comfortable posture but nothing helped. My whole body ached and my foot really hurt. It was so annoying. The night felt cold. The blankets didn’t help at all. And then my throat felt dry.

I buried my face in the pillow. “Damn!” I groaned. “It hurts.”

“Leah?” Someone called my name. I was pretty sure it was Carter. I felt too exhausted to even move. “Are you feeling okay?”

“No, I’m not.” I answered. I was not feeling okay.

He came to my side and placed his hand on my cheek. I vaguely felt his soothing cold touch.

“You’re burning up again.” He muttered and rolled me over so that I was on my back. I felt nauseas. “Wait here. I’ll be back soon.”

When he went away, I was trying to fall asleep. But I couldn’t. Seriously, what was wrong with me? My body was completely out of control. I absolutely hate this.

Then I felt something cold on my forehead. I opened my eyes to find Carter’s concerned face above my head. I closed my eyes again and let him put the wet cloth on my forehead. I don’t know when I fell asleep after that. But when I woke up, I felt much better than before. I sat up slowly and looked at my surroundings once again. It was already morning and I was in Carter’s room. He went through a lot of trouble last night. I stole his peaceful night’s sleep.

I looked down despondently but then my eyes fell on Carter who was leaning against the nightstand. His sleeping form made my heart race.

Don’t tell me he was there the whole night.

I quickly got up from the bed and tried to wake him up. I crouched beside him and shook his shoulders. He lazily opened his eyes. His hooded eyes were so beautiful. The defenseless expressions looked so cute.

Then a small smile appeared on his face and he raised his warm hand cupped my face. I was surprised as his display of affection. My heart was thudding inside my chest.

“Are you feelings okay?” I nodded my head without saying a word.

“I’m glad.” He murmured and closed his eyes again.

For a moment then, my mind went completely blank. He was talking to me, right? He was really talking to me. I didn’t know he had that side to him. Sure Carter had saved me previously too. But such a sweet gentle side. It’s something he had never shown me before.

But then I realized he was still sleeping in that uncomfortable position. I poked his shoulder with my index finger.

“Carter! Carter!”

He hummed but didn’t say anything.

“You should sleep on the bed.” I whispered. He didn’t waste any time and jumped to bed in a fraction of a second. He even fell asleep.

That was quick.

I walked downstairs. His parents were not home last night. I think that’s what he said. I decided to take a shower because I felt sweaty. Normally I would have thought twice before showering in such a situation but at that moment, I just want to feel refreshed.

Later I decided to prepare the breakfast. Carter was still sleeping. He had helped me last night. I should at least return the favor. As I was busy cooking, I didn’t notice someone entering the kitchen.

“What are you doing, wifey?” I almost jumped at the sound. My heart surely did. I spun around to find Carter leaning against the wall. From the looks of it, he had just woken up.

“Um… I-I’m making breakfast.” I answered. But wait. Did he just call me wifey? I frowned. “And I? Wifey?” I couldn’t even make a coherent sentence.

He chuckled. The rich velvety sound made my heart beat faster.

“I was joking.” He gave me a boyish grin and walked towards me. He stopped when he was a couple of feet away from him. I was surprised by that. “Or do you want it to be a reality?”

His intense eyes bore into mine. I stepped back, my heart beating way too fast.

“I-I-I-I-,”

He pinched my nose. “I’m just joking.” He smiled and stepped back giving my personal back to me. Even so, my heart was going crazy inside my chest.

“You are a patient. You don’t need to cook. Let me do it.” He tried to cook instead but I didn’t let him.

“No! No! Let me do it!” I protested rather loudly.

He gave me a surprised look. My cheeks turned red with embarrassment.

“You’re really serious about the role of wifey.” He mussed and I my jaw dropped.

“What?”

“Nothing.” He shook his head. “You need to rest Leah. You have fever, remember?”

“I don’t need to rest Carter. I’m alright. See?” Somehow I had got courage to grab his hand and placed it on my forehead.

By the time I realized what I had done, it was already too late. Carter was staring at me intensely. I couldn’t look away. As if bewitched by his gaze, my thoughts started drifting away.

Carter removed his hand from my forehead and slid it down my face to rest it on my cheek. He started leaning in. And maybe I started leaning in too. My heart started pounding inside my chest as his face came closer and closer.

Is he going to kiss me?

I was shaking from nervousness and anticipation. He was so close to me that my vision became blurry. Instinctively, I closed my eyes. I felt the touch of his soft lips against mine just a moment later. A small feathery touch that sent electric shocks running throughout my body.

He pulled away too soon. I wasn’t able to respond. With my eyes still closed, I relished that small moment. Because it might disappear too soon. And it did.

When I opened my eyes, Carter’s back was already facing me. I felt my heart clench painfully inside my chest. I bit my lower lips and blinked away to tears that had gathered to convey how hurt I was. My sixth sense told me that it was a mistake. He thought that it was a mistake. I already knew something like that could happen.

He walked away, without looking back. And I walked out of his house on my crutches without any word. He didn’t try to stop me. He didn’t even come to see me off.

Falling in love is painful.

I closed my eyes. The feel of his lips on mine was fresh. A single moment of happiness followed by sorrow. But even the sadness, the heartbreak, couldn’t match the bliss of those few seconds.

As I walked away from his house, I told myself that I would fall out of that painful love. But I was bewildered by one question- why did Carter kiss me?