Chapter Twenty-Five: Silver

JAMES

The Silva family and the Connolly family (which included Peter, Delphine and now Elias) drove to a small town in the middle of what looked like nowhere. From what James could tell, it was a farming community with a sort of rustic charm. In the middle of the town square, a small white gazebo stood surrounded by grass and flower gardens. The plan was to regroup there before sunset with everything they gathered.

James and Eric rushed to the local thrift shop, "Hand-Me-Downs" and searched for tuxedos or suits or anything that would do. He opened the dressing room door, glancing at Eric and catching Eric looking at him. James curled his lips to keep from smiling and forced his brow to narrow. 

"What?" He asked.

"Nothing," Eric motioned from underneath his pile of clothing in his arms. "Go change."

James swatted at him, which Eric swiftly dodged. "You go change."

Eric nabbed James' arm and pulled him close. He kissed James quick, before releasing him and showing off the little smirk on his lips. Grinning, he shoved Eric as he laughed and ducked into his dressing room. He couldn't pry the smile off his face. He looked down, just thinking about Eric just a thin wall away and probably thinking about him too.

Peeling off Peter's clothes, James changed into a few suits until he landed on a black suit that fit him the best so far. He glanced at the mirror for the first time and his heart sank. He froze at the reflection staring back at him. The fluorescents were not forgiving. That guy looked exhausted. He had a cut lip and a bruise around his eye. Even Peter couldn't erase the last few days from James' face. The turmoil stained his face like spilt wine on a beautiful table cloth.

"Not exactly wedding photo ready," James mumbled.

There was a knock on his door and James jumped. "Um," James sputtered. He panicked and almost threw the blazer over his head but resisted. He bobbed up and down, thinking about conducting the wedding ceremony here.

Delphine can be like, "Knock twice if you take Eric as your lawfully wedded husband."

"James?" Eric spoke up, worry tinging his voice. "Everything alright?"

James licked his lips. He huffed. "Why didn't anyone tell me I look like a train wreck? I mean, are you sure you want to save wedding pictures of me looking like this?"

"James," Eric said his name again and James couldn't wait to spend a lifetime of hearing his name pronounced like that. "I'm a little beat up too, but I'm going to wear them with pride. We survived the Timber Wolves pack and I'm proud. Proud of me, you and our pack..."

James closed his eyes, his heart swelling.

Our pack, he said.

"Besides, does it matter? It's not just any wedding photos. It's our wedding photos. That's the important part."

James smiled a little, glancing at the mirror again. It's his wedding day. He's looked forward to this ever since he was a kid and was desperate for a home inside of someone else. James adjust the suit. It wasn't tailored like his suits at home, but the fact it was a little worn and big was nice like a security blanket.

"You always know how to make me feel better," James whispered. He pressed his hand onto the suit sleeve. The familiar orbs of light danced under his skin, tickling him like butterfly kisses. Visions of men wearing this same suit clouded his vision. He saw a man wearing it on his wedding day and his son after him. He saw a kind man named Charlie wearing it everywhere he needed a little extra luck.