Chapter Twenty: China

ERIC

Slowly, the orchestra faded to a stop and a spotlight landed on Frances. He stepped into the middle of the dance floor, causing the guests to fan out and circle him. Eric shouldn't have been so surprised to see Frances' genuine smile. "Alright, alright!" Frances announced into the mike, sending his voice booming across the ballroom. "Let's bring the couple out! Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Petrovic!"

The room erupted in applause and Eric took another swig of his scotch. This was the worst part of being a werewolf and running scorching hot. Eric couldn't get drunk. His body just burned the alcohol away. Izzy could get drunk. Mom could get drunk. It was just Dad and Eric that was cursed to stay sober, no matter what. Eric explained this to a tipsy Delphine and she laughed and called him "a hot dog."

Eric didn't try starting up another conversation since.

Two of the servers opened the double doors from the reception hall. A slow song descended over the guests and the spot light found the newly wedded pair, garnishing them in a soft blue glow. It was the stuff out of princess movies they used to watch as kids. This whole party reminded him of Izzy and Mom, which formed an ache in his chest. Home and family sounded like the best medicine right about now.

Resting his elbow on the table, Eric held up his head and watched the dance. He glanced behind his shoulder and then, he looked the other way around. James wasn't anywhere in the crowd. Eric's brow furrowed and something in the back of his head was nagging him. He sat up and nudged Delphine, who was enamored by the couple.

Eric said, "I think we should go find James."

"He'll come back once he's cooled off. Just wait," Delphine waved the idea away.

Eric couldn't shake the thought. Something wasn't right. So, he decided to follow her logic and beg the question, "Even if James was angry with me, wouldn't he still want to watch the first dance?"

Delphine straightened. She imitated Eric, looking back and forth. All her joints stiffened, but she managed to stand without toppling over. Her eyes were light years away. Eric stood too, which grabbed the attention of the rest of the table.

"What's wrong?" Peter asked.

"Probably nothing," Delphine said, but her smile was tight. "We're just worried about James."

"I'll help look," Peter took to his feet too and suddenly, they all went separate directions. Eric walked outside into the cold night. The city was still bright, but the sky was an endless pool of black. Eric could see his own breath and his chest tightened again like a snake was wrapped around his heart, strangling the life out of it. He walked up and down the street, but the only other people around were wobbling drunks on the way to their Uber. It took Eric a second to notice, but specs of white were fluttering down from the sky.

"He wouldn't be out here," Eric mumbled. James loathed being cold and as pretty as snowflakes were, James could just as easily enjoy them from behind a window. He hurried back inside, but he wasn't really thinking. His feet had a mind of their own, changing from room to room, circling the ballroom and back. He had no regard for personal space or courtesy, ramming into people or tripping them by accident and without apology. He was running circles, until a hand wrapped around his arm.

Whirling around, he found Delphine. She wasn't trying to hide her emotions anymore. Her grip tightened around his arm while her eyes slightly widened. She had grown pale. "I can't find him anywhere and no one has seen him since he stormed off."

Behind her, Peter and Frances joined with matching worried looks. Eric swallowed, his brow furrowing deeper. The whole world zoomed out like he was having an out of body experience. Closing his eyes, he told Delphine, "Call him. He probably wouldn't answer me."