Chapter Twenty-Four: Opal

ERIC

Eric didn't waste any time. He pounced, eager to pin Laurence into the ground and rip his throat out. From the moment he saw his mate underneath that beast, whose teeth were aimed for his neck, Eric saw red. He tasted blood. He wanted to gouge the life right out of Laurence. All the hair on Eric's body stood. James was right behind him and Eric could focus on his breathing and the rapid beat of his heart. He would always remember the way it skipped when James' eyes finally landed on Eric.

God, he loved that man.

Laurence, a dark red wolf thrashed in the snow on the way to his feet. He's sloppy, Eric noted. He had the coordination of a drug addict with erratic and unpredictable movements. Laurence rushed around the wrecked tree, growling and aimed at Eric like a loaded gun.

With a snicker, Laurence prepared his stance. He said, "So you've come? I never took you for an idiot, Eric. I've killed dozens of wolves just like you. Did you think you could leave these woods alive? What makes you so special?"

"Don't act surprised now before we've even begun," Eric stated. From the sky, fresh snow fluttered down. "Because I don't expect you to act surprised later when you're begging me to spare your pathetic life. I already warned you, Laurence. I gave you the chance to surrender. You've left me with no other option. Remember, you asked for this."

Eric's pack was fighting, battling the other wolves alongside Frances and a few of his bodyguards. It would be good if they could take out a few wolves from Black Timber, but at the end of the day, the only battle that truly mattered was this one. This was the duel that counted because the victor took all: the pack, the land, and James.

At once, Eric and Laurence lunged for each other. Laurence snapped his jaw once and created a clap like thunder. The Alpha in Eric burned, eager to dominate. It was a heat that wouldn't be cooled until Laurence was a whimpering mess. Eric's teeth sunk into Laurence's neck at the same time a pain exploded in Eric's own neck. He reacted, unconsciously digging his claws into Laurence's body and shoving him off. Both their wolves growled and snarled because the time to be human was over. It was the time for instincts to lead the conversation. This was the old way. This was the only way that was going to get through Laurence's thick head. Someone wasn't making it out of this fight alive.

As Eric shoved Laurence, he jumped and expected to pin the beast, but both wolves ended up rolling around in the snow, round and around as Eric snapped his teeth wildly at Laurence. He could taste the man's blood as he spat out junks of his red fur. Eric's bones were buzzing. This adrenaline gave Eric a taste of a high stronger than any mortal drugs. This was dominance. This was being a true Alpha.

Eric's paw suddenly slipped on a patch of ice and he landed with a heavy slam onto his back. It was the opening Laurence must have been waiting for and Eric cursed. Laurence's teeth bore into Eric's shoulder and Eric couldn't contain the cry that rattled his throat. Laurence shook his head, ready to rip a chunk out of Eric. His whole body tensed up, aching alongside the sharp pain.

"Eric!" James called his name and Eric amassed enough strength and clawed up Laurence's face, catching the beast's eye. Laurence roared, distracted long enough for Eric to escape. He drove his head into Laurence's chest and knocked him away. Eric stood but stayed low to the ground.

The two wolves circled each other, growling and anticipating the next move. Impatient, Laurence lunged again, but Eric saw it coming. He twisted, kicking Laurence with his hind legs and sending him into the air, through the branches of a tree. Before Laurence could even land, Eric charged. He flew past the woods and dove for Laurence. He sunk his teeth into Laurence's neck, locking down his jaw and when Laurence thrashed, Eric didn't let go. He wrapped his whole mouth around the beast's neck and suddenly, a loud snapping sound echoed through the woods and Laurence's body slumped.