Chapter Nine: Pottery

ERIC

Eric questioned the amount of food he ordered from the closest Chinese food place. He asked James what to ask for and James just said, "Get enough to feed five people." Eric wondered if James could hear his disapproving frown from over the phone. Maybe he did. James did laugh when Eric didn't say anything for a while.

Oh well. Whatever James wanted.

Eric paused at the door, kicking himself. He couldn't believe he just thought that. Marcy was right. He was "whipped". He walked up the steps, expecting to see Marcy and her smug knowing look, but the secretary was nowhere to be seen.

Instead, two men in gray suits lorded over James, who was rigid, squeezing his hands into tight fists at his side. The lobby was thick with tension and one wrong move could send the whole scene crumbling into dangerously sharp pieces.

James glared at them. His words were calm, but poison laced his tone and if he was a better wizard, maybe that alone would have been enough to kill them. "I'm not going to go through this with you two again. Delphine and I have already politely turned your offer down. We don't want this to turn ugly."

Eric straightened, gripping the bags. He doesn't know what they're talking about.

"Mr. Connolly," one of the men smiled and approached James with opened arms. He spoke like a radio host trying to sell someone from Alaska ice. "You're not seeing the true beauty of our proposal. You're a smart boy, aren't you James? You'll give it a real chance, won't you?" He put his hand on James' shoulder and something inside of Eric snapped.

"You've been harassing us for days," James insisted and all the pieces fell into place. This was why someone needed to stay coherent. Someone needed to fight. Irritation flamed up in Eric's chest and burned away his senses. People have been known to try to hire Oracles for their own personal use.

As James spoke, Eric trudged over. "Tell your boss he can take his proposal and shove it up his ass-"

Eric pushed his way between the men and he was a good foot taller than either of them. He looked down at them, "Are you gentlemen in the right place?"

"Eric," James grabbed his arm, pulling him and yet it felt like nothing but a soft breeze. He wasn't moving. James grunted, "Eric, it's fine."

"Sir," the stranger smiled, a patronizing look that reduced Eric to an insolent child. Eric knew that look. He was better at giving that look than this idiot. "This doesn't concern you. Mr. Connolly, maybe you should put the dog away."

Eric chuckled along with the two idiots, glancing at James who just stared at him with wide eyes. Nodding, Eric walked out of James hold and strode towards the man. The man's laughter faltered as he fumbled backwards to keep from being walked all over by Eric. He tripped a little, but Eric was there in a flash, grabbing a handful of the man's collar. Eric slammed him into the wall, dropping the Chinese food to his feet.

No one was laughing anymore.

"Allow me to introduce myself," Eric titled his head, tasting the fear pouring off of this man. He realized then, he was nothing but a simple Gamma and not a very good one either. He explained, "My name is Eric Silva. I'm the rising Alpha of the Red Carnation wolves and please, don't bother telling me who you are..."

He tossed the man towards the door and Eric calmly fixed his blazer. He sighed and picked up the food again. "I'm never going to see you again, am I?"

The two men eyed each other before taking off. Eric knew their smell. They were from Alpha Laurence's men, from a mountain pack that didn't seem to be taught any manners. He waited for them to be out of sight before he turned to James. He asked, "are you al-?"