Chapter Fourteen: Ivory

JAMES

It wasn't a long drive to Eric's house, but it was a bumpy one. The car rattled so violently, James imagined pieces of the car flying off into the trees. Eric's headlights showed the way, cutting through the soup like darkness. James withheld his amazement. Eric could probably close his eyes and still take them home safely. Eric's house was much farther from the main house than James imagined and sat on the edge of the lake as if it existed in a world of its own.

Eric's house was small. Two stories and longer than it was wide. Inside, it was completely dark. However, James was more taken by the lake and the moonlight glimmering on the water. He jumped out of the car, drawn to it.

"Here," Eric said suddenly and threw the keys at James. James just barely caught them. Eric pointed at the house. "Go ahead inside. I'll get the bags."

James nodded. He was too tired to argue (because he was perfectly capable of grabbing his own bags, but sometimes he just needed to let Eric be the chivalrous white knight he wanted to be). It didn't matter where they were. James was satisfied with just being alone with Eric finally. He was willing to sleep in the car, curling into Eric's arm. Eric was warm the way the covers feel in the morning. James took his time, so he could look at the lake as long as possible.

"The lake will be there in the morning!" Eric advised from the trunk and James hurried inside, so Eric's all-seeing eyes couldn't see his blush too. James let himself inside but left the door wide open. He immediately found the porch lights for Eric and flicked the switch beside it too.

The whole house brightened, making James realize Eric's house functioned a lot like a studio apartment. Everything was on the bottom floor: the kitchen, the dining room, and the living room, but it didn't feel cramped. It was quite the opposite. James felt like he had room to stretch his legs and run around. With that thought, he smiled. That sounded very much like Eric. The colors were warm copper colors and greens and even touches of a sunset orange. Everything was wooden and James would put a lot of money down that they were all handmade pieces.

There was a ladder off to the side and James imagined that was where Eric's bed was, and maybe even a study, too. He walked towards the middle of the wood floor, crossing a lengthy oriental rug. He looked back, gaping at the round circular window, a canvas for the night sky and the engorged moon. He walked to the couch where a quilt was draped over the side. What lacked was another door. What lacked was the spare bedroom.

Eric walked in with all the luggage underneath his arms or inside his hands. He made it look like nothing, but if James tried that, he'd have to make three round-trips. As he spoke, James walked up the ladder. It was sturdy. Not even a wobble. Eric explained, "I have something planned tomorrow before the full moon, but we can still sleep in if you'd like."

"You said the magic words," James muttered. He took in the king's sized bed in the middle of the room. There were quilts and comforters and big pillows. It looked like a big puffy cloud. There was a bookshelf that wasn't big enough. Books were stacked against it and on top. It was surprisingly messy.

James walked back to the balcony, holding it between his hands. Eric stood straight and met James' eye. James lost all train of thought in that moment. This love. Eric. It was making him stupid. With a shake of his head, James righted himself and quirked his head. He asked, "Where am I sleeping?"

"Up there," Eric said and rested his hands on his hips.

"What about you? I don't see a spare bedroom. You said you had space for the both of us."

Eric shrugged. "I'll take the couch. I didn't buy it to be uncomfortable."

James swallowed. There was a lump the size of a fist inside his throat. He took a deep, shuddering breath. James opened his mouth, shocked by how much control fear had over him. He clutched the railing and fought to speak up and over the nerves. "We could always share the bed." Heat trickled into James' face and his palms grew sweaty. He was handing Eric the weapon that would completely destroy James. He thought he'd never be this vulnerable again.