Chapter Nineteen: Aquamarine

ERIC

Eric drove to see James.

Sporting a tuxedo didn't make it the most comfortable drive, but he thought James of all people would appreciate the ceremony. Outside the matchmakers' home, there was a veil of white dust. Frost clung to their grass and their roof shingles. Winter had arrived and with every breath, a cloud billowed from Eric's nose and lips.

He checked his watch. It was official. They were late.

Sighing, Eric dragged himself around his car, opened the door and laid on the horn. The blare scared the birds from the trees and from inside the house, Eric heard clattering and stomping. The door flung opened and Delphine poured onto the porch steps. She wore a great big blue fur coat and underneath, Eric could spot a body-hugging dress covered in sequins. On top of her head, threaded through her inky black hair was a silver feathered head dress. She looked like a Vegas show girl.

"We're right on time Eric, darling!" She insisted as Eric met her on the other side. He held the backseat door open for her to climb through. She declared, "We're always fashionably late!"

"I'm not the stylish type," Eric commented and from behind them, James let out a laugh that echoed in the night. Eric's lips were compelled into a smile. A waft of James' warm scent infiltrated Eric's nose and lined his chest with sunshine.

Eric felt under dressed for the first time tonight, after seeing Delphine and James, who waltzed down the steps wearing a blue blazer, but the material was thoroughly threaded with outlines of silver roses. He also wore black pants and a skinny black tie.

Technically, the dress-code called for silver, blue and black clothes.

However, Eric doubted Gale and Collin expected such extravagant choices.

Eric shook his head with a small chuckle. "You two are birds of a feather."

"So, does that mean you hate it?" James tilted his head, teasingly. His dimples were telling Eric that James wanted to tease him. "Or do you love it?" James grabbed Eric's jacket, opening his blazer without asking. James slipped his hands around the sides, hugging Eric to syphon his warmth. It seemed to be the only way Eric could help his mate. Eric tried to hide his disappointment and kissed James' forehead.

"I love you," Eric made clear.

James strained to smile. He could tell. Eric was finding it harder not to appear devastated. He couldn't hide things from James anymore. Their last fight was the fight, the only fight. It was the fight going on behind every conversation. Eric wanted to mark James. His teeth sharpened, itching to perform the most natural act between mates. To Eric, this mark was better than an engagement ring, more eternal and it would keep other wolves at bay.

After a lull, Delphine rolled down the back window. She fluttered her thick eye lashes with a smile. "Are you two just going to awkwardly avoid this conversation all night? Or can we go get plastered at Gale and Collin's wedding?"

Eric gave James a look just as the Oracle was flinching. Of course, he told Delphine. Eric should expect that every single person in their lives must know. There wasn't anything that couldn't just be theirs. Not even fights.

With a sigh, Eric returned to the driver's seat. Thankfully, they also arranged to pick up Peter, one of Delphine and James' oldest clients. Peter stood on the street outside his apartment with his short blonde hair swept to one side. He stood with perfect posture, wearing a simple blue tuxedo blazer with black lapels and black pants.

In short, appropriately understated.

Unlike the rest of the passengers.

This wasn't the first time Eric had met Peter, but like every time they've met before, Eric continued to be baffled by the glow around Peter. Eric didn't buy into the whole "aura" thing, but something about the air around Peter was calming. He had eyes like the forest and a smile that tugged his heart strings.