Chapter Eighteen: Porcelain

JAMES

In a couple of days, James' vacation would be over. He'll be separated from Eric by hours of driving. James will be forced to go back to the city and matchmaking, which he did miss, but Eric will also have to start taking over the pack, step by step. And if James knew Eric and since he had become the expert on Eric Silva, James knew he would have to take a backseat in Eric's life.

The pack meant everything to Eric. They would come first, James knew that.

But right now, James thought, Eric is mine.

James was never the possessive type before.

"James?" Eric grabbed James' attention from his window. They had just finished their little date, but whenever they went out, it boiled down to hanging out with the town. Almost everyone wanted to catch-up with Eric, their soon-to-be Alpha.

"Sorry, spacing out," James nervously chuckled as he threaded his fingers through Eric's.

"Do you mind if we take a detour?" Eric asked, before kissing the back of James' hand.

"Not at all."

They drove as the sun was setting around them. The shops were closing and apparently, everyone in town made the same plans to go home at the exact same time. For a few miles, it was bumper to bumper traffic, but when Eric took the back road towards the main house, it was like they were the only people in the world.

"Wait," James spoke up and twisted in his chair. He watched Eric drive right by the turn to the main road. "You missed the turn."

"I didn't miss anything. I know exactly where I'm going."

"You sound very confident for someone who missed their turn." James turned his head, resting against the seat. Eric was way more interesting to look at. "Honey, you can just be honest."

Eric's lips curled. It was a feeble attempt at hiding his smile. Too many seconds went by before James realized what he just said. Heat rose up his cheeks with the bite of a preheated oven. He couldn't believe he just offhandedly gave Eric a pet name. James regretted it the second he said it and he hated it more because of the smirk hanging off Eric's lips. James felt like he was just tricked into saying it.

"Be patient," Eric asked the impossible.

James peered at him. He said, "This is how you find out I hate surprises."

Eric laughed as if James was joking. He was pretty sure he told Eric about the time Delphine tried to throw him a birthday party and after the lights came on and everyone shouted, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" James froze the entire room. Inside their living room, it was James' personal winter wonderland in July.

He remembered Eric saying, "You don't have to tell me you freeze people when you're surprised."

"Is it even a surprise if I tell you it's coming?" Eric posed and that seemed to make James a little more complicit. He trusted Eric with this. Eric wasn't the type to fool around with dramatic gestures or parties. If anything, Eric probably rejects over half of the party invites he received.

Sinking into his seat, James absorbed the scenery outside the window. This town, Carnation was dubbed: "the city hidden among the trees" for a reason. They drove up a winding path, past lines of trees and a wall of moss covered stone. Every now and then, James could spot the town below. The lamp lights were blinking awake, fighting against the setting sun and the darkness that followed.

Eric parked at the very edge of the cliff, against the old rotting fence. Eric kept the car running and the engine purred. He twisted the radio knob, causing the music to fade almost completely away before he said, "This is my favorite place in the world."