Chapter Five: Wood

JAMES

James froze him.

He couldn't believe he just froze Eric Silva.

James shouldn't have been doing those kinds of spells. His magic was unpredictable and could be dangerous, but he couldn't stop once he started. Now Eric was a statue, turning a light blue and James wasn't sure if the guy was ever going to defrost. Maybe, his body temperature was high enough to melt the ice away. He'd be okay. Probably. It didn't matter, James needed to get out of there and as far away as possible. James tripped snatching his blazer and crumpled his tie in his fist, leaving Delphine's extra room key behind.

Before he could walk out the door, he glanced back at Eric. James' cheeks were still on fire and his heart wouldn't settle, no matter how much James begged. He saw that kiss coming a mile away and yet, he still couldn't escape it and suddenly, they were kissing. They were touching. They were making a mess out of James and his rule.

James touched the doorknob, feeling his heart tug. Glancing over his shoulder, he took one last long look at Eric Silva. James could admit he was an attractive man and he was so tall. How'd he get to be so tall? It must be something in the water werewolves' drink. Eric had thick eyebrows and full lips.

Lips.

He touched those lips. No, that was too simple. Any guy could give a kiss. Eric's lips were the kind of lips that dominated, that erased everything else from the world. A good, terrible, wonderful, exhilarating and bad pair of lips. Bad, bad, bad lips.

James sighed and closed his eyes, extinguishing his smell from the world again, like turning off a faucet.

Never again. This was why he had rules. This was why he didn't let wolves smell him, why he didn't date them. It was already too much and nothing had even happened yet. James couldn't deal with this. He slammed the door behind him without looking back.

James took the elevator down, glaring at the front desk on his way by. The same girl was still there, typing away what sounded like nonsense. Anything to look too busy to answer for her betrayal. Coward. If he wasn't busy running away from his problems, he'd sure give her an ear full.

"Didn't you hear me?"

James jumped, snapping his eyes around. He halted as Elias Baines slid his hands into his pockets. How could James just run right past him? Elias smiled, tilting his head as he examined James. James was still flushed from the kiss and ragged and half dressed.

"E-excuse me?" James asked, hurrying to put his blazer back on.

"I told you to watch where you were going, remember?" He chuckled and took one long step closer. "You should really be more careful."

"Oh, right," James laughed nervously. His eyes were checking back at the elevator. Every time the machine dinged, James' heart jumped. He expected a shivering Eric there, ready to throttle the life out of him.

Elias touched his arm, blocking his view. "Are you alright?"

"I don't know. Maybe. No, not really to be honest," James sighed. He really wished this night went differently. He wished it didn't happen at all. Weddings were supposed to be a lot more fun than this. James half smiled, holding onto hope that the business card Elias gave him was still good and Elias would still pick up the phone for an absolute weirdo. James apologized, "but it appears I can't save you the last dance either."

"What a shame," Elias frowned. With his free hand, he caressed James' cheek. James stopped breathing, the touch of his hand so deliciously hot after having Eric's frozen hands on his face. James' chest swelled up like a balloon, but James would definitely let Elias take him away. Elias said, "I would be happy to see you again and I have a feeling that I will."