03. Damn...The Weekend.

Start from the beginning

Jah had only worked one real job in his entire life. He worked at Equinox, doing maintenance. He washed windows and cleaned floors, but that only lasted about a month due to his inability to respect authority. Believe it or not, Jah was a handy man. He could fix cars, bikes, lights, plumbing, he could do a lot. He adopted the trade from his father Jerome and his uncle Cliff, who had worked in maintenance for years. Eventually, they built a brotherly business known as The Hampton Bros which was still standing strong to this day.

"Still that negative mentality bro! Would you rather make fast money, risking ya life and slimming the chances of you being able to grow financially? Mentally? Physically? You got hella talent! Use that shit!" Reem fussed. Tez nodded his head in agreement. "That street shit won't take you too far Jah, you know that. You already did a bid and you on probation. Don't fuck that up for some pocket change yo, don't do it." Tez preached. Jah heard them but he wasn't really listening. He don't know why he called them to come keep him company knowing they would have something to say. He wasn't mad because he knew they were right but when he was in a mood, he wasn't trying to hear nothing.

"Told you, come work for me Jah, just for the time being. You know I got you on anything, whatever you need." Reem dapped him. "And because you helped a nigga with the artwork I got you on the first cut. Picasso." Tez joked, lightening the mood making them all chuckle. "Heard ju. A nigga ain't assed out or nothing but I'm just in my head. A nigga need to get outta the projects." Jah said seriously. He wasn't broke but he wasn't 'set' either. His mind wasn't just on money either, he actually had dreams and goals. The first was making it out of the projects but he couldn't do that without a real job. "You need anything now? I got that for you. Moms and Pops straight?" Reem asked.

"Yeah, they straight. Moms still working her two jobs and Pops good with his business." Jah spoke. "That's another thing! Ya stubborn ass got a whole family business to get into but you worried about punching a clock." Tez stale faced him as he backed away, shooting a 3 pointer. "He right J, that mentality is why you got put outta college too. I mean I get it, no grown ass man want another person telling them what to do. But this is life, you gotta get over that shit." Reem agreed. "At least if you work with me, you familiar with how I operate. And it's MY business, I can do what I want. Check this out, we hit one of my spots tonight. I gotta go down anyway to check on business. We can chill for a while and you see how you like it. Cool?" Reem suggested.

"I could do that. I ain't doing shit anyway. You know I ain't into clubs though but I'ma pull up." Jah agreed. "Aight! Enough of this, let's hoop! Ain't nobody come over here to hear you bitch ole' Bob the Builder ass nigga!" Tez cracked as Jah got up, swinging at him in the process. "Shut the fuck up, dumbass." He shook his head, annoyed with him. Tez was always random with joking insults and Jah was usually okay with that. But today, he just wasn't feeling it or anybody for that matter.

"Hostile on this beautiful day, I'm telling Moms." Tez laughed as Reem shook his head. "Chill Tez, you know how he gets. J, first shot!" He tossed Jah the ball. "Blow some of this steam off and shoot around. Then we can hit the carryout on 110th." Reem said. The three of them went into competitive mode as they played for a couple hours.
--
New York Institute of Photography

 --New York Institute of Photography