Chapter 9

Surprise

Mackenzie

I woke up in Lauren's bed.  Wait, didn't i fall asleep on the roof?

Was I dreaming?

I leaned over and saw Lauren was not in her bed.  I got up and went to go to her bathroom, but saw the light was on.

"Lauren?" I asked.

No one answered.

I guess she forgot to turn off the light.  I opened the door and walked in. 

And i saw her sitting against the wall with her knees to her chest.  Her skin was paler than usual and her eyes were as red as a tomato.

"L-lauren?"

Her head poked up and she looked at me, and as she did her eyes flooded with tears.

"What happened?" I asked.

She just shook her head and hurried it back in her knees.

I ran out to get Johnny to help me.

I knocked on his door and opened it.  I saw him laying on his bed with his hands on his head.  Tears were running down his cheeks.

"John? What's going on?" I asked feeling my eyes start to water.

"Kenz i-" but his voice cracked, stoping him from finishing.  He shook his head, just like her.

I walked out and went to the guest room to see if Maddie knew what was going on.

She was sitting on the edge of the bed with her head in her hands.

"Maddie?"

She looked up and as soon as she saw me she broke down.

I felt tears starting to run down my face, but i didn't even know what happened.

"S-she didn't, I-i cant," she said sobbing.

"Maddie i can't understand you."

"S-she's gone, Kenz," she finally managed to get out between sobs.

I immediately felt my body go numb.

She's gone.

My mom is dead.

I turned around, ran down the stairs and out the door.

I collapsed in the grass and started screaming.  It felt like my whole world was falling apart, and it was all my fault.

She told me to leave and i did, i left her.  I was a coward.  If i stayed she could've lived.

I started sobbing uncontrollably and my body was shaking violently.

I heard a door slam and felt a body sit next to me and hold me in their arms.

"It's all my fault!" I screamed up at the sky hoping somehow she would hear, somehow she could forgive me.

I didn't even get to say goodbye.

"Kenz stop, it's not your fault."

I couldn't even make out the voice, my head was full of thoughts.

How could i let her die?

*************************************

Hey everyone i haven't updated in a long time but i think i finally figured out what i'm going to do with this book.

get this to 40 likes for an update :)

comment who you think is with her