Chapter 6

Mackenzie

We were sitting at the table eating breakfast when we heard a loud knock, but we stayed sitting because we knew Mer would get it.

A few minutes pass and she walks into the kitchen without saying a word, but stares straight at me.

"Who is it?" Johnny asked.

"It's your mom.  She wants you to come home," Mer says.

I sighed before getting up and running upstairs.  I slammed Lauren's door behind me.  Tears fell from my eyes as I shoved all my things into my bag.

"Kenz let's go!" I heard my mom scream from downstairs.

I love my mom more than anything, but that house is just torture for me.  As long as he is there at least.

I opened the door slowly and saw Johnny standing outside it with watery eyes.  I felt my heart melt at the sight of him.

Without a word, he pulled me into a hug. 

"Text me if something ever happens," he whispered.

I nodded my head and pulled away from him, even though I didn't want to.  I got to the bottom of the stairs and hugged Lauren and Mer before walking out to the car.

I knew she was doing this because of him.  He always told her I shouldn't hang out with friends so often because their terrible personalities were rubbing off on me.

I saw a tear slip down my mom cheeks as she closed the car door.

"Im so sorry Kenz," she cried.

I just nodded my head in response and I bit my lip, trying to stop the tears from coming out.

"He told me I had to come get you and be back by 10 or else," she whispered.

"Mom you have to leave him!"

"But I love him, and he loves me!" she replied.

"That's not what love is at all.  And it's kinda sad that I can see that and you can't," I said.

When we got home I ran straight upstairs and into Maddie's room.

I saw her sitting on her bed drawing on a notepad.  I tackled her in a hug.

"Kenzie?" she screamed, "I can't believe you're here!"

We spent the day laughing and catching up, mostly catching up on Johnny and I.

We never left her room the entire day, mostly because none of us wanted to see Greg at all.

At 11:30 I went back into my own room and climbed in bed.

I looked over at my phone and saw a bunch of texts and missed calls.

Johnny: u good?

Lauren: i miss you

Annie: wanna hang soon??

Johnny: you haven't texted me all day, are you okay?

2 missed calls from Johnny

I texted Johnny back and told him how I spent the day with Maddie and left my phone in my room.

I got an almost instant reply.

Johnny: ok good, text me if you need anything.

Kenzie: okay thanks :)

I set my phone down on my side table and closed my eyes.

An hour or so later, I was awakened by a loud bang.  I quickly shot up and ran in the hall by instinct, and Maddie did the same.

I grabbed her hand and we walked up to the banister. 

"You raised two spoiled brats who could care less about either of us!" A masculine voice screamed.

"Greg, I could take it this far, but this, this is crossing the line.  No one talks about my children like that!" she yelled back.

I felt Maddie's hand squeeze mine.  She had never talked back before.

"Are you kidding me Melissa? That's how you're gonna talk to me?" He yelled.

And that's when we heard a loud smack, followed by a scream.

Adrenaline was pumping through my veins as I let go of Maddie's hand and ran down the stairs.

**********************************

What is Mackenzie gonna do?

like and comment for more'