00 - Prologue

Prologue

***

The familiar sound of rain on the soft grass rang throughout the village that night. A certain masked man stared onward at the small casket descending lower and lower into the ground. The droning voice of the priest finally ceased as the casket finally reached the bottom of its designated hole.

Guests took turns placing flowers on the grave of the not so beloved Ririn, who perished at the tender age of twelve. When it was finally the masked man’s turn, he placed a single white rose in front of her gravestone.

He let out a sigh and looked down at the small book in his hand. A bookmark was sticking out of the middle where he had paused his reading. “You should’ve just stayed…” he whispered as a small drop of what seemed to be rain landed on pale white petal.

He stayed staring at the gravestone for several minutes before finally standing to leave. Before doing so, he turned back to the grave smiled softly, “At least you were able to speak.”

The guests resumed their daily activities after placing their flowers; all but one man. Kakashi never thought he would miss Ririn as much as he did, especially since she had only stayed with him for about five years before running away.

Still, he couldn’t help but miss her silence. He missed having to guess what she was saying. He missed her fear of humans. He missed her cooking. He missed her.

She wasn’t meant to be this close to him. He was only supposed to watch her to make sure she wasn’t a danger to the village, but instead, she ended up being like a daughter to him. He loved her like a daughter he never had.

Of course, he had missed her when she ran away, but at then, there was a slight chance she would return. This time, he knew for sure that she was gone, and that she’s never coming back.

Now, he only had one thing left of her and was a book with her past in every word. He had read it several times already; each word read made his heart ache rather painfully.

With the book, he was able to somewhat experience what she went through and he learned more about her with each chapter. He learned that she had a brother that she wasn’t able to find, and silently vowed to find this brother that ‘abandoned’ her.

He wanted to find this brother and give him the book, so he’d at least be able to know his sister even a little. He felt weird, going against his character in such a way, but he was sure that was what Ririn would’ve wanted.

Now that she was one with nature, who knew what she really wanted?