Merry Cristmas - Ray Toro

(I'm telling you, the Christmas mood for me is 100%, I has "All I want for Christmas is you." The MCR cover and "White Christmas." The P!ATD cover, on repeat)

"Can I give you your present now?" you asked your husband Ray, excitement bubbling out from inside of you in the form of a wide grin.

"It's still Christmas Eve, Y/N," Ray reminded as he sat on the couch, admiring the tree in the living room you two had had so much fun trimming together.

"Shouldn't we wait until tomorrow morning?"

"No, if I don't give it to you now, I'm going to be so excited to do it that I won't be able to sleep!" you insisted giddily.

"Hmm.....ok," Ray decided, flashing you a soft, loving smile. "If it will make you happy to do it now, we can."

"Yay!" you cheered.

"Are you going to give me any hints what it is?" Ray wondered.

"Nuh-uh," you shook your head. "I think you're going to be truly surprised.....but, I hope you'll also be really happy!"

"If it's a gift from you, Y/N, then of course it will make me happy," Ray promised.

"It's something you've been wanting for a while now," you admitted.

"Is it a new guitar?" Ray guessed.

"Nope," you replied.

"A record?" Ray tried again.

"Nope," you said again.

"Here, let me just give it you already!" You pulled a small box out from behind your back.
Ray took it gingerly, with a curious expression.

"It's smaller than I thought it would be," he confessed.

"What could even fit in a box like this? A gift card?"

"It's not a gift card, Ray," you chuckled.

"I mean, I have nothing against gift cards," Ray mumbled. "Honestly, an ITunes card would've been really useful, and....."

"Just open it!" you prompted.
"Ok, ok, I will!" Ray laughed.

His fingers, calloused from long hours practicing his instrument, slowly undid the bow. Then, he lifted the lid off the top of the box.

"A photograph?" Ray blinked, scooping it out from its tissue paper wrapping. He flipped it over to examine it more closely. "Is this a picture of.....a pregnancy test?!"

"Yes," you said, tearing up already  (but in the best way).

"It's......positive," Ray gasped, like it was taking him a second to put two and two together.

"Y/N......." Ray said after a moment. "Does this mean what I think it means?"

"Yes," you announced, happy tears starting to flow (though maybe that was just the hormones). "I'm pregnant, Ray! You're going to be a father!"

"Oh my god!" Ray cried, jumping up and down with boyish excitement. "Y/N, oh my god!" He pulled you into his arms, hugging you with sheer joy.

"I know we've been trying to conceive for a while, but I still can't believe it!" Ray said euphorically, still holding you close. "How long have you known?"

"Not long," you smiled slyly. It had been hard, going to buy the pregnancy test without Ray seeing you. You'd wanted it to be a surprise, but the morning sickness had almost gotten you caught.

"I thought about putting the test itself in the box," you joked, "but I figured that would be gross, cuz, y'know, it's covered in my pee....."

"Yeah, don't give me that," Ray laughed. "But......Y/N.....in all seriousness.....this is the best Christmas present you could have ever given me."

"I'm going to put my headphones on my stomach," you mumbled as you cuddled up to Ray on the couch, "and play Remember The Laughter so that the baby will know early on that Daddy is an amazing musician."

"Daddy," Ray repeated wistfully. "I can't wait until he – or she! – is old enough to talk, and call me that, and call you Mommy, too."

"Which do you want it to be?" you asked. "A he or a she?"
"I'll be happy either way," Ray replied. "I'll be overjoyed, because I get to have a kid with you. Oh my gosh, you're going to be such a great mother, Y/N."

"I hope so," you said softly. "I know you'll be a great dad. Are you going to teach them to play guitar, when they're old enough?"

"If they want to learn," Ray nodded. "I hope our child likes music as much as we do."

"How could they not?" you grinned. "We're going to teach them so much about it!"

"What if I painted a pattern of music notes in the nursery?" Ray suggested. "My dad would probably help me, and....."

Ray stopped, realization dawning on him.

"Oh my god, I have to call my mom and dad and tell them they're going to be grandparents!" the guitarist gasped, and happily ran off to do just that.

You continued to sit on the couch contentedly. You lay a hand on your already protruding stomach and rubbed it gently.

"Merry Christmas, Baby Toro," you cooed. "I can't wait to meet you."