Loosen Up- Kobra Kid

As soon as you hit the final Drac, you ran over to Kobra Kid, who laid in a pile if glass.

He had been tossed through the window of an abandoned gas station. He was definitely woozy, and had a few cuts. You could see the shards of glass stuck in him and the blood that stained the floor.

"Shit, Kobra," you murmured, putting his arm over your shoulder and supporting him.

Kobra grumbled something in response, but his words were too slurred. You shook your head, trudging your way back to the base you had set up.

The whole trip, Kobra wouldn't stop talking, even though he was in bad shape to still be talking. His words became clearer though, and by the time you had set him down at base, you could tell he was scolding you.

"You're crazy," he told you, as you grabbed first-aid supplies.

You rolled your eyes, raiding the cabinets. You found a few strips of cloth and grabbed a bottle of vodka. Kobra sat on a ratty cot, watching you as you walked across the room.

You pulled up a chair next to Kobra, helping him take off his jacket as he glanced at you in disbelief.

"Are you drinking now?" he snapped.

"No," you answered bluntly, rolling your eyes. "I'm helping you not get an infection."

Kobra fell silent with a sigh as you began to patch him up. There were pieces of glass that managed to poke through his jacket. You tried pulling them out as gently as you could, but Kobra still winced occasionally.

You tediously removed all the shards, with Kobra not saying a word the whole time. Usually he was quiet, but not this quiet. It didn't help that the other Killjoys were out too. The silence made the room feel spooky.

You carefully poured the vodka over the cuts on Kobra's back as he inhaled sharply. You looked at him apologetically, but Kobra shook his head, giving you the same blank faced look.

You rolled your eyes, wrapping up his wounds before putting everything back. Kobra just sat on the cot, silently staring at you. You could tell he had something on his mind.

"You know," you piped up as Kobra began to put his jacket back on, "you don't always have to be so tough."

He just glared at you in response, grunting lightly.

"Loosen up," you poked, sitting next to him. "Don't be so stiff. That last fight was fun."

"Sure," Kobra shrugged, rolling his eyes.

You sighed, annoyed with how cold Kobra was being. Usually, he'd be a lot happier, a little more talkative. Of course he wouldn't be giving speeches, but he'd say something. The silence from Kobra had you spooked.

"What's up?" you asked, turning him so that he faced you.

Kobra tried to avoid your pointed stare, but eventually he cracked. He shrugged once more before answering.

"You almost died," he admitted, "and if that happened, I wouldn't be able to live with it."

Your hands fell in your lap as the room turned silent. Kobra turned to stare at the floor, hands clasped together. His shoulders were slumped, and you waited for him to continue. There was more and you knew it.

"It was too close," Kobra continued, voice wavering slightly. "I don't want to have to see that again."

You swallowed, nodding as Kobra met your eyes again. He was right. He saved you last minute, which was why he landed in the glass. By pushing you out of the way, he took a hit. Of course Kobra was smart enough to block the shot with a trash can lid, but regardless, it was enough to knock him off his feet. Better than you being dead though.

"Thanks," you mumbled. "I owe you one."

Kobra gave you a small, tight lipped smile before nodding. He quickly hid his smile though, but it was too late. You couldn't help the smirk that was creeping on your lips as he did so.

"Are you smiling?" you teased, nudging him lightly.

Kobra shrugged in response, light blush gracing his cheeks. He tried to put on a straight face, but that wouldn't stop your teasing. You laughed lightly as he rolled his eyes.

"You nearly died okay?" Kobra replied defensively. "I'm just happy you didn't."

You paused, smiling lightly. Kobra didn't bother hiding the flush on his face as he kept talking.

"I'd miss you if you did," he told you, sincere look on his face.

You laughed lightly, unable to hide the flattery you felt from Kobra's comment. "Same here," you told him.

And this time, Kobra gave you a full smile. The happiness in his smile even showed in his eyes, and your heart fluttered at the sight. It was nice to see him like this. You hadn't seen that kind of joy on Kobra's face for a long time.

You grinned back, lacing your fingers with his. He squeezed your hand lightly as you laid your head on his shoulder. Kobra took a deep breath in before leaning over and speaking up again.

"If you risk yourself again," Kobra told you, "I won't be smiling like this."

He gave you a stern look, but you rolled your eyes in response.

"Wow, Kobra," you chuckled. "I love you too."

Kobra gave you an annoyed look before turning away, but you knew he was anything but annoyed. He may not have replied, but he didn't have to either. Both of you knew exactly what his reply would be. Besides, who else would be okay with crashing through a window for you?