Rosé Gold - Josh Dun(Soulmate Au)

The air is like frozen lace on your skin, delicate and cold. The sky is washed with grey, watery light illuminating thin patches to brilliance. That special cold and pale light, only the winter's sun can give, makes everything glow with slippery ice. It's the perfect day for staying home.

Sadly, you had to work today. You're seated at the bus stop with both arms crossed over your chest, hugging your body, as if that could provide you with some kind of warmth.

All of sudden you see an elegant woman being dragged by her poodle towards another dog owner just across the street. As expected, they collide into each other. The gentleman has lost his hat due to the collision, causing a royal blue strand on his head to become visible and remarkably stand out from the rest of his blonde hair.

Instantly acknowledging the phenomenon, the lady lets a loud gasp escape her lips and urgently draws the guy's attention to her streak of hair, which coincidentally has the exact same pigment as his. The next thing that happens is acted out just like in the movies. The lovers jump into each other's arms and share a passionate kiss as they pull away. At the same time, the royal blue pieces of hair from each one of them loose their colour and blend into the rest.

Eventually, the scenery turns out to be the complete opposite of a simple coincidence. Oh, the things you'd do to finally experience the same spectacle. You are tired of mustering up an empathic smile every time someone summons their memorable and whimsical story of meeting their partner. When will it finally be your turn to find your soulmate?

"What a joke" a person next to you chuckles derisively. You jump slightly at the sudden voice and turn your head to the direction, you heard the comment coming from.

Catching a glimpse of the stranger's appearance, the air gets sucked right out of your lungs. The man sitting on the same bench as you are undoubtedly the most perfect creature that you've ever laid eyes on.

He has distinct cheekbones and an angular jaw, that is curved gracefully around and the strength of his neck, which shows in the twining cords of muscle that shapes his entire body; strong arms, bold thighs and calves, a firm chest and abdomen. His pale skin makes him look devilishly handsome and brings out the three-day stubble. He is wearing a black jumper with a coat around his refined frame. A black knitted beanie covers his head, but little bits of bright pink hair manage to stick out from the sides and the back of his head. From a certain angle, you could see a piercing on his face, complimenting his high-bridged nose. The man could not be much older than you.

"That was awfully laughable" he adds to his earlier comment, making you furrow your eyebrows.

"Sorry?" you blurt out, irritated by his remark. Frankly, you could simply not trust your ears.

The guy finally makes eye contact with you, with a pair of tinted pupils, which represents the colour of earth kissed by spring rains, the hue that promises to stir life from dormant seeds, the nascent plants guided upward by the light before blossoming into the vibrant colours of a new season. Reminding you of how much you're looking forward to the end of winter.

"Just look at them. There are still people legitimately believing in that soulmate crap, huh?"

It does not matter how angelic his voice sounds to your ears, the words coming out of that mouth appear to be nonsense to you. "What is your problem? Why do you think so negatively about it?" you ask, trying your best to sound moderately polite.

"Isn't it obvious?", the stranger asks rhetorically with the same mockery attitude, "There's no logical justification of finding the love of your life, meaning that one significant soul out of seven billion people, through a single strand of hair!"