Chapter 39 - Political Opportunity (Eron)

Start from the beginning

She knew that I was with Miguel.

But I was going to take a safety line if the opportunity presented it.

I stood up abruptly. "No Mom, he's right. I didn't want to tell you that I was dating a boy but it's true. Aiden is my boyfriend. We started dating before I had transferred schools," I quickly lied. If this could save my skin and save my family more trouble, I'd take it.

This was mess and Grandpa was right, I had to take responsibility.

This would also stop Aiden from bothering Miguel. I would deal with Aiden on my own later.

Mr. Sheng smiled more comfortably all of a sudden. "That is a big relief. We really thought our son was just....well. Nevermind that," Mr. Sheng said suddenly.

He looked like he wanted to believe that Aiden was my boyfriend and that was so completely different from my own father.

My own father had never accepted me for who I was. I felt a stab of jealousy, for once, looking at Aiden.

Mrs. Sheng continued on. My own family was clearly shocked by these turn of events.

"And well, I might be as bold to say, our son says that ....it's been, what, two years since you started dating?" she turned to Aiden.

He nodded. "Since he starting going to Rivers High. I think that's enough time to propose an engagement. I know it sounds rushed from our perspective, but I just want our son to be happy," Mrs. Sheng smiled, rubbing Aiden's arm.

Aiden's eyes never left me. I stared back, feeling hollow.

What had I just heard....My mother coughed.

"I-I well, um, yes...I think we just need some time to process all of this, you know, seeing as we just picked up Eron from the police station...again...so sorry for the damage, send us the bill, we'll cover it..." she said, her voice a bit echoy as though, she wasn't really present.

Mr. and Mrs. Sheng stood up. "Thank you so much for seeing us. We cannot express how fortunate this turn of events has been. Our son has been refusing all potential marriages and now we finally understand why!" Mr. Sheng laughed.

"He was already in love with the heir to Tsui company!"

I smiled weakly. Aiden had told me that Mr. Sheng had known my father, which meant he must have known something at least about my mother's company. The Shengs were worlds outside our league, so the fact that they were trying really hard right now, meant they really did value their son's happiness above all else, even their own company merging with ours. I felt sick with jealousy.

Then it struck me. If I merged my mom's company with the Sheng's, father could never touch us again. We would be so far out of his reach, my grandparents would never have to worry again.

I walked confidently walked to Aiden and kissed his cheek in front of my family and his. "I'm glad you finally told your family about us. I'll see you this weekend, after I pick you up from Mcdonald?" I said loudly, beaming.

Aiden was staring at me with wide eyes and I could see his pale skin blushing. He couldn't believe I was playing along.

Just you wait till I get you alone, my mind thought angrily.

"Alright then, let's go, Wen wen. Let Eron rest. You can make up another time, I'm sure he needs time with his family to discuss yours and his future plans," Mrs. Sheng said happily.

Aiden looked like he wanted to kiss me back but I gave him a look that said, Don't you dare.

He gave me a quick hug and followed his parents into the hall.

My mother walked after them and showed them to the door. My mother and I waved as they drove away.

She closed the door, and said nothing for a moment.

"You don't have to do this," she finally said.

I shook my head. "This isn't any different from marrying that Chu girl. At least this one, he's the right gender," I laughed glumily.

"Yes, but at least with Samantha, you weren't already going to her house and smashing things in sight!" My mom exclaimed.

"Your mother is right, Eron, think this through," my grandma said.

"No, Eron is doing the right thing. This event has turned out to be a forunate one. The Sheng family is a much better political match than the Chu family," Grandpa said. "It's beyond my understanding that their son also already turned out to like Eron."

"Dad!' my mom shouted. She was breathing heavily. "It was bad enough I had to marry someone I didn't want, but we already know that Eron hates that boy!"

I felt worried. My mom never yelled at my grandfather.

"Mom, please, it's alright." I tried to soothe her. "It's my mess and I'll figure it out."

"What about your boyfriend, Miguel? Are you going to keep hurting him? What kind of man do you want to grow up to be?" she searched my eyes intently.

I felt my mouth go dry. My mom was questioning my character but I was doing this for her.

"I'm doing this for you, mom, for us." I said calmly.

"You aren't doing anyone any favors by losing your integrity," my mom whispered.

She turned from me and walked past me, and my grandparents and went to Matt. She said something and he nodded.

"Excuse me, I'll leave you guys to talk in private. I'll head home. Good night, Mr. and Mrs. Tsui. Night, Eron. Take it easy," Matt said as he walked past me and left.

My mom didn't look at me and went up the stairs.

I stood there, numb.

"You are doing the right thing," my grandfather said.

"Dear...." my grandmother said. "You are free to choice what you want and we will support you," my grandmother said.

I nodded my head. What did I want to do?....