Chapter 15 - Hater to Lover (Miguel)

Before, when I dreamt of Eron, it was all nightmares. I was always scared, terrified of the cruelty he would unleash on me.

But now, I found myself waking up disturbed in a new way.

I dreamt that I was in martial arts class and I was fighting Eron. He would always attack me and my usual fear was there.

But once he got me to the mat, the physical contact became more than intimate.

I would wake up, staring at my curtains, in a daze, wishing my dream hadn't ended and then as I became more awake, I would wonder "What the hell did I just dream?..." It must have been because he had touched my face. No other reason.

I dragged my sorry self to school, but as I came closer to school, I felt better. I felt happy and excited.

I had spoken with Eron and even though it had been a strange and unwelcome conversation. I felt like I had lifted some pain off my shoulders.

I never imagined that if I ever saw him again in my life, I would have had a normal human conversation that didn't involve me getting physically or verbally abused.

 "Good morning," I sang as I saw Bruce, Charlotte and Robert already chilling around my locker. And I had great friends too. How lucky could I ever get?

 'Hey Miguel," Charlotte smiled. She held up a plastic box. "I made some muffins, have some, they already had some."  Bruce was finishing up his. 

"It was friggin' delicious. I should just marry you now, Charlotte," he grinned.

Charolette rolled her eyes. "Pleaseeee, you just want a maid to cook for you, not a wife."

 Robert burst out laughing. "She got you there. Your room is always so filthy."

 "Rob, shut up," Bruce snapped, irritated.

I just beamed.

 I had never had something like this back in my old school. I felt even lighter remembering that those days were behind me.

We continued to chat till the bell rang. We all said good bye since we didn't share the same period.

 I walked toward my class, when among the students crushing one another to get to class, I recognized those broad shoulders.

 My stomach flopped a bit. I tried to walk by without making eye contact. No such luck. A hand reached out and grabbed my wrist.

 "We need to talk," Eron said firmly. Students pushed past me and I tried to use the flow to pull away from Eron but he held me tightly.

 "Let go, I have to get to class," I tried to pull away. I was surprised that Eron still wanted to talk to me even though I had told him to leave me alone. Not that that had ever stopped him.

All the students had left and the two of us, stood in the hallway. I was going to be late!

 I gave one final jerk to pull myself free, but then Eron shoved me against the lockers.

The sudden violence flooded back memories of being back at our old school. My fighting spirit left me.

I've been down this road too many times to count. I closed my eyes, wishing myself anywhere else but here.

I expected the typical hit to the stomach, but instead I got the warm pressure of lips against mine.

Eron's lips were on mine. What?....

My eyes shot open. I tried to pull away but his hold on me was too strong. I cried out but I couldn't help hate myself by how good it felt. His kiss was tender and sweet. His tongue pushed into my mouth and he held my wrists are held above my head.

When did my hater become my lover?

Eron finally pulled away from our passionate kiss, and I finally came up for air. Why did he stop?...

He stared at me intently.

"I've always liked you, from the day I saw you. It was a mistake how we ended up as we did. I even saw you that day at the bridge...." He said quietly. His eyes darkened, as if lost in a terrible memory.

"...how can you say you liked me given how you had treated me?" I whispered. It was impossible.

Eron looked at me.

 "...I was ashamed of who I was."

I looked away. My eyes stared to brim. I had to suffer because of that?

 "Please let me go," I said almost inaudible. 

Eron didn't resist and he let me go.

I walked unsteadily toward my class but then I turned around. I ran past my class and out the back stairway.

My head kept thinking, Eron kissed me, was it really love, or just another messed up way to torture me?

And why was it that this time, if he wanted to use me like that, I wanted it too?