Chapter 36 - Consequences (Miguel)

I went to school the following morning.

I walked to my school, and my steps felt heavy. How could I face Eron, Bruce, or Charlotte? I didn't want to deal with these problems anymore.

I got to my locker and got my books. I turned around and I saw Robert standing beside me, solemn.

I suddenly looked concerned. "What's wrong?" I asked.

 "Charlotte overdosed. She's in the hospital. Bruce told me yesterday. I didn't want to tell you until you came back to school." Robert said.

 My feet turned to run, but Robert grabbed my arm. 

"Just leave it. Let Bruce have his time with her. Don't get involved."Robert said with a forceful tone.

I started at Robert. 

Was he kidding me? I was suppose to hear news like that and not go running to her?

I struggled with myself. I would go find Eron first and then go to Charlotte.

 'Fine, I won't do anything stupid."

 "And if you're looking for Eron, I'll go with you." Robert said bitterly. My face paled. Now I knew why I had an uneasy feeling in my gut.

 "...what happened?..." I asked quietly.

"He can tell you himself. We gotta skip final period if we want to make it before visiting hours are over."

"Is he in the hospital?" I gasped. How could two of the most important people I know end up hurt? What was going on in the world?

 Robert sighed. "No, he's not in the hospital. He's at the police station. He showed up at that brat's house with a bat and started to smash the windows and cars. He got arrested for tresspassing. The brat hasn't pressed charges yet but Eron's being held for Bail. Luckily no one was home or it could have been much worse," Robert said.

 I wobbled slightly. Robert caught me.

"Is this a bad dream, Rob?..." I asked numbly.

"Just get through today and I promise, we'll go together to see him," Robert said.

The rest of the day occurred without incident. Just my body floating like a ghost.

I didn't really realized time had gone by when I finally found msyelf sitting next to Robert on the bus, heading to the police station.

 I entered the building and Robert asked on my behalf to see Eron. The police said, only family members were allowed. 

While Robert insisted, Eron's mom walked out of the room. She looked exhausted and caught sight of me. Her boyfriend was holding her steady.

"Miguel is it? May I speak with you, privately?" She smiled weakily. Her boyfriend looked reluctant to let her go.

 Robert looked at Mrs. Tsui but figured it must be Eron's mother and allowed me to go.

 Mrs. Tsui stand down on the bench at the end of the hall and motioned for me to sit by her. 

 "I can see the healing brusies on your face...does it still hurt?" Mrs. Tsui asked me. How could she tell? It was mostly yellow now and hardly any discolouration. 

 "Eron's father used to hit me," she explained. My heart sank to hear that.

 "I'm so sorry," I said.

"His father started to hurt Eron when Eron started to show signs...that...well, he liked the same gender," his mother wrangled her hands.

 "I used to try to stop my husband but after all, him hitting me just became part of normal life. That's how I know the yellow shades on your face are bruises," she smiled through tears. "I wanted a better life for Eron. And I think Eron did too.

I thought things had finally gotten better, after he started to go back to school after he dropped out. You can only imagine my horror to get a call from the police saying that my boy had gone to another boy's house and started to destroy things . I couldn't believe it. My son was being just like the man who had hurt me. But today, he told me about you. Who he used to be to you. I'm so sorry my son had hurt you. I was caught up in my own pain, I wasn't there to see that my son was hurting others. Can you please forgive a mother for failing her son? For failing you?" Ms. Tsui started to sob.

 Eron's father used to hit Eron for having been gay? Jesus, I thought miserably. No wonder Eron used to act out in school. I would have too if I had a horrible father.

 I felt numb but I remembered my own mother, who said my father had left us when I was so little, I had no memories of him. But that was better than what Eron and his mother had. I put my hands on hers.

 "My so-son," she sobbed. "He hurt you yet he said you are his boyfriend? Is this true?..."

 I felt lost at words. Eron's mother didn't even know her son had a boyfriend. Maybe she hadn't even know Eron was gay. But at least Eron's mother had had a better idea than mine. My mother didn't know I was gay or had a boyfriend.

"Yes...Eron and I are dating. I'm sorry if that's not something you wanted to know." I admitted, feeling ashamed for once about my orientation.

She sobbed harder and hugged me. I hugged back, not knowing what to say.

 "....my son is lucky to have you..." she sighed. I looked up and her boyfriend was standing near. He looked wreaked as well.

"Can I speak with Eron?" I asked softly.

She nodded her head and I got up. I went to the police officer.

Eron's mother nodded and the officer motioned for me to follow.

He lead me down some empty cells before coming to Eron's cell. Eron looked up and he looked tired but glad to see me.

"Eron..."I said softly. "What did you do?..."

"I was getting your phone back, of course, dummy," Eron laughed hollowly. 

"What were you planning to do if that kid had been home?" I clenched the bars of the cell. That brat wasn't worth going to jail for.

"Give him a taste of my bat?" Eron joked. He looked exhausted as well.

 "You told your mom about us," I said, staring at him, searching his eyes.

 "Yeah, it was about time. I can't keep living in the closet, it was making me go postal," he joked lamely.

 My mouth curled up into a smile. 

"...I know it's not the right place, but picturing you going to kick his ass warms my heart."

Eron laughed. "Yeah, not the appropriate place to be saying that..." He smiled at me. 

I smiled back, but my worry started to coming back.

 "Will everything be okay? It should be, you're Mr. Money Bags. Just pay 'em off and come back to school," I begged.

 I saw Eron's face fall for a moment but his mask slipped back on. "Yeah, duhh, what was I thinking? Obviously, I should just pay him off and tell him to go eff himself!" Eron exclaimed.

 I felt a bit disturbed his voice was upbeat but he was lacking his usual confidence.

I slipped my fingers through the bar and Eron grasped it and held it tightly.

 "Everything's gonna be okay," Eron promised.

I squeezed tightly. 

"It will be." I comforted him back. I could tell he was just as scared as me, if not more.