Chapter 17 - "You will only have yourself to blame "(Miguel)

Robert and I were putting on our jackets, getting ready to leave the studio after martial arts class.

We bowed goodbye to our instructor and left.

 We walked down the road for a bit , before I finally had the courage to ask, "How do you know if you like someone?"

Robert looked at me as he walked. "Well, I'm assuming from the fact that you're asking me, is because you like someone. Who is it? Is it Charlotte?"

That caught me off guard. I didn't expect he would assume it's Charlotte, although, who else could it be?

I must have looked uncomfortable, because Robert sighed. "Listen, if you like her, just tell her. She obviously likes you. Besides, if you don't make a move, you're gonna regret it when Bruce does." 

I shifted from foot to foot. I wasn't talking about Charlotte, although that made me a bit sad, thinking that her love might be unrequited. Or even Bruce's, for that matter.

 "Maybe Charlotte and Bruce should be a couple then," I finally said.

 Robert shrugged. "Why? All's fair in love in war. We should go wholeheartedly after the one we want, regardless of the competition."

Suddenly I heard running footsteps behind us. Both Robert and I turned around.

Eron had jogged to catch up with us.

 "Gentleman," he grinned. Robert looked unimpressed as usual. Robert always went to great lengths to ignore or roll his eyes at anything Eron did.

 "Go away," Robert said flatly.

I felt uncomfortable to see Robert acting this way to Eron, especially now, given our current situation...

"Oh come on, Robert, this is the second time he's tried to walk with us. We shouldn't be mean. Let's let him walk with us," I smiled, asking Robert. 

Eron beamed as innocently as possible.

 Robert's eyes narrowed to a slit. "You're f*cking kidding me, right? Why the change of heart, I thought you hated him," Robert said coldly.

That had me back peddling. I did, I did....I used to....

"I-I, well, ..."

"Whatever," Robert finally said. 

He turned on his heels and started to walk ahead. I moved to follow him but Eron grabbed my wrist to stop me.

 "Robert!" I called.  

 "When he f*cks you up again, you'll only have yourself to blame," Robert called over his shoulder, without stopping or turning back.

 "Robert, don't be like this!" I called louder.

 Robert had walked quite far but I could still see as he raised his hand and gave me the middle finger.

 That felt like he had kicked me in the gut, I felt horrible. I felt all the energy leave me.

 "Let him be, he'll get over it," Eron whispered in my ear.

I became aware of Eron still holding my wrist. I felt empty and I wanted to fill in the void. I was filled with self doubt about my decision. I wanted to believe my choice was the right one. 

"I want to see where you live," I finally said.

Eron looked into the distance and a small smile curled into his lips.

 "I like it when you read my mind." He released my hand and went to hail a cab.

 "What are you doing, we can take the bus," I called.

"Nah, only the best for you when you're with me," Eron called back, motioning me to get into the cab. The obvious difference between Eron and I. We came from different social classes and unlike before when he and his friends would hurt me because I wasn't part of it, now, it felt like I was through into the waters.

I followed him and we got in.

 During the cab ride, Eron slipped his fingers over mine and held my hand. My cheeks felt hot and my spine tingled.

Eron never held my hand, mostly he just would grab my wrist to keep me near him.

His long fingers held my hand gently but firmly. I looked up from our hands to Eron. He was already watching me, looking for my reaction.

I blushed and looked away. Eron tightened his hold. I felt shivers. It felt really good.

We finally arrived at Eron's house. And I was shocked by what I saw.