Chapter 34 - Sweet Moments (Miguel)

I woke up late the next day. I went down to the kitchen and I saw my mom had already left me breakfast. I sat down and winced as my side hurt.

I dug into the breakfast but I dropped my fork as I felt a sharp pain shoot across my Jaw where that Oaf had hit me.

I was going to kick the lights out of that kid once I got my hands on him.

I took my breakfast to the living room and watched tv as I struggled to eat.

I wondered if Eron was okay. If he was texting me, I wasn't able to reply, I had lost his phone. That made me feel sad and guilt. I had only had the phone for one day before I lost it.

I stared listlessly at the tv. I didn't want to worry Eron. He would I know wasn't in class. Maybe Robert could explain.

I shook my head. I highly doubted it. Robert would never tell Eron his old cronies came to kick my butt.

I felt embarassed and angry at that thought. I thought I could have been able to hold my own if it ever came to it. I needed to get stronger. I need to never be weak again.

The day went by and it felt long as hell. I enjoyed the break but I was glad when my mother came home.

"I made you dinner!" I called brightly, even though my jaw ached when I spoke.

 "Aw, thank you, Mi Hijo! You should stay home more often," my mom joked.

 I grinned. It was nice spending time with my mom.

She stand up at the dinner table and she told me about her day at work. She was a nurse at the local clinic. She told me about some of the nice patients she had, and the really difficult ones that she had to not pay mind to after they left her office.

It was really pleasant knowing about my mother's day, sharing her memories, listening to her own worries and concerns. I didn't want to always complain about myself. I was just happy being there with my mom.

 "Thank you for listening, Miguel," my mom said, rubbing my arm. 

"Dinner was delicious," she said. "How's your jaw? It's still swollen. I'll get you some advil to eat later."  I rubbed my jaw gently. 

"It's a bit sore but I know it'll get better in a week." I said.

 My mom smiled and picked up the dishes but I reached out and grabbed them. 

"No, I'll do them. You go and rest," I said.

 My mom looked grateful and hugged me. I smiled and I felt like I wanted to cry again. How could I have caused my mom so much pain with my unnecessary dramatic life?

My mom sat on the couch, curled up, reading a novel. I washed the dishes while I listened to the radio.

My mom later said she was going to go up to her room to rest. I told her okay, I was just gonna sit in the living room and watch some tv for a bit.

My thoughts kept floating back to many things I wish I could forget for the moment. I pictured Bruce's angry face, I remembered Charlotte's lips on mine, I remembered how bada** Robert looked, standing over, protecting me.

I mostly felt sad, thinking Eron didn't know where I lived. I missed him, despite everything. Maybe I was really messed up.

The week crawled by slowly until finally all my face was mostly healed. I woke up friday morning, with angst in my heart and I didn't know why. Why was I afraid to go to school tomorrow?