25 ‖ Never Wrong

Alaister Mavis

Alaister Mavis.

Have you seen him? He's stunning. Probably the most chivalrous guy there is. None of the princes can even compare to him. He deserves the throne.

Those were the talks amongst the people about Alaister. He is, without question, admired by everyone and I can see why.

His black tuxedo suit is tailored to fit his impeccable frame and beneath it, is a pristine white dress shirt. A black silk bow tie embellishes his collar, adding an extra touch of sophistication to his ensemble. Finishing up the look, he hides his face behind a regal black masquerade mask adorned with striking gold rhinestones. With that, he exudes an aura of mystery and sophistication like no other in the ballroom.

"Are you alright, princess?"

His resonant tone snaps me out of the light trance I was under.

"Y-Yes, you. My apologies for not recognising you but I have to go. Alvaro's waiting on me, excuse me." I give a slight curtsey and turn to look for Alvaro, only to notice his grim stare.

Contrary to beliefs, his gaze was not on me. Instead, it was glued on Alaister.

Nonetheless, I hurry my way over to him, trying to balance as well as I can on the pair of heels Reece chose for me.

"Sorry it took a while, I had a hard time looking for you," I whisper to Alvaro, breaking his focus away from Alaister.

"Was that man Alaister Mavis?" Alvaro immediately questions, without any greeting.

I nod my head slowly in confusion.

Is there something that I am unaware of?

Sure the Mavis had some tension with the Lunettes but it should not affect Alvaro much in this case, right?

"Could he tell that you weren't Rosalia?" Alvaro asks apprehensively, looking me deep in my eyes.

"I don't think so," I respond in a slightly uncertain tone which sets him off.

"What do you mean you don't think so? Are you sure or are you not?" Alvaro raises his voice despite it being a whisper and it is clear that he is restless because of my encounter with Alaister.

"Well, he called me Rosalia so yes, I am quite certain he did not recognise me," I clarify in exasperation.

The least he could do was be nice while asking.

Hearing that, he lets out a sigh of relief.

"Is there something you're not telling me about the Mavis? Or Alaister specifically?" I question and my tone is coated in suspicion.

"It's nothing important, forget about it. Follow me, we have to greet our guests." Alvaro brushes my query off, as he extends and offers his arm.

Hesitantly, I accept his gesture and rest my hand gently on his forearm. Then, he starts to lead us away from the crowd, navigating his way towards the staircase that ascends with a grand lavishness to the second level of the ballroom. The staircase was designed with such intricate railings that one can admire it for days for its magnificence.