19 ‖ Lucky Day

"Luke, what are you doing?" The lieutenant yells in distress and attempts to take a step forward

"I said don't move! Move again and this bullet is going right through his head." Luke warns menacingly and pushes the muzzle forcefully against Alvaro's forehead.

This causes Alvaro to stumble slightly but Luke instantly traps Alvaro's arms behind his back. Now, Luke's proximity to Alvaro is so close that it is practically impossible for us to rescue him unscathed. Even if I were to try and shoot his hand such that he drops the gun, given his fast reaction time as mentioned by the lieutenant before, he is still likely to shoot Alvaro.

At the same time, some of the traitors who had heard the commotion from inside the hut had rushed out. As of now, we are heavily outnumbered and surrounded by traitors.

"Put all your guns on the floor now!" Luke demands fiercely, leaving no room for protests.

I turn to look at the lieutenant and a look of defeat is smeared across his face. To my dismay, he nods his head at me, indicating that we should give up and that we stood no chance against the traitors. Indirectly, he simply did not want to risk Alvaro getting hurt.

He reaches for his waist and pulls his gun out of its holster. Then, he slowly squats and places the gun down on the floor. One of the traitors who is standing right next to him kicks the gun away, ensuring that it was nowhere near arm's reach.

"Your turn now," Luke turns to me and orders.

Instantly, my fist clenches up so tightly that my nails are digging into the palm of my hand.

Is this it?

Are we really giving up? Just because Alvaro did not know who was trustworthy among his own guards?

I can feel every inch of my body refusing to admit defeat.

We were so close to succeeding.

If I had to be honest with myself, I knew well enough that I did not care for Alvaro's life. Selfish as it sounds, my job is to protect Casimir and him only.

Though ironic coming from a bodyguard, I could never understand why people would willingly sacrifice their own lives for another. For a very long time, I have only found sacrificial acts to be foolish if you get nothing out of it.

Perhaps one may start to wonder what exactly it is that I get out of being a bodyguard. After all, the idea of being one is to put myself at risk to protect another.

However, in reality, all there is to it is proving every one of them wrong and upholding my dignity. More importantly, it is so her sacrifice does not go to waste.

And all of that meant more to me than living.

Since life has not been merciful to me, why should I have to care about another's life?