10 ‖ Heartbreak

"Thank you for dinner once again

"Thank you for dinner once again. Please excuse me, I will head back to check on Casimir." I inform the royal couple.

"Glad to see that you've managed to finish your food today, Thank you so much for looking out for him and you can always approach me or Athena if anything." King August says merrily and I can feel a knot in my stomach.

Deception certainly does not feel right.

"Do let the maids know if he needs anything and inform me if Casimir still feels sick." Queen Athena adds on apprehensively, clearly worried about her son.

If only I could tell her that it was just an excuse.

I smile and nod, "Don't worry. I'll make sure the prince is fine."

With that said, I saunter out of the dining room calmly before quickening my pace as I rush towards Casimir's room.

Gosh, I feel guilty.

Never in my life did I think that I would ever have to lie to a royal couple. Especially about their beloved child's safety.

Once I reach the doorstep, I knock against the door in a panic. The door swings open swiftly to reveal a gleeful prince.

"You didn't hit your head... right?" I question, perplexed about his unanticipated exuberance.

Casimir's smile instantly fades as he rolls his eyes.

"Quick, come in."

He grabs onto my arm, pulls me into his room hastily and closes the door behind him. I yank my arm away and frown at him, annoyed by his unnecessary tight grip that did hurt slightly. Though, it was probably unintentional.

"I've been staring at the map connecting Acreria and Vesna for hours now and I also contacted my spies in Vesna. I know where Rosalia was last seen and I think I know how we should go about this." Casimir fills me in on his progress eagerly and my eyes instantly shoots wide open.

"Spies?" I exclaim in shock. "Don't you think they would tell your father? Plus why do you even have spies in Vesna?"

"My father doesn't know about these spies. I was the one who sent them and they're loyal only to me." Casimir answers my question partially and I raise a quizzical eyebrow at him.

"And why exactly did you send them?" I question again but this time suspicion is evident in my voice.

His lips purse into a thin line, then he gulps nervously.

"I needed to know if... was..." He mumbles under his breath and I fail to catch what he said.

"Needed to know what?" I ask, extremely confused.

"I said I needed to know if..." He murmurs inaudibly once again.

"What?"

By now I am feeling exasperated. Can't he just speak up?