SLEEP

I

I

So shut your eyes, kiss me goodbye, and sleep... just sleep... the hardest part's the awful things that I've seen.❞▶MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

SOPHIE HAD TO REMIND HERSELF HOW TO BREATHE AS SHE SAT impatiently in the waiting room, bouncing one of her legs on her other knee and gnawing hard enough at her fingernails to have scraped off a few bits of red nail polish. She ran a frenzied hand through her hair once more, having no other choice than to wait longer as her anxiety slowly but surely wrapped its cold, unforgiving arms around her.

In. Out. In. Out.

What seemed like ages ago now that Sophie was waiting to hear results, Jack would have been able to keep her anxiety under control.

But that was the thing, Jack wasn't here now, no. In fact, the entire reason she was five seconds from having a panic attack in the first place was that her green-eyed friend was in the hospital.

Apparently, she had fainted, and Marista had driven her home before joining Will and Jill on their way to the hospital.

Now she was most definitely awake, and as images of her friend's bloody arms flooded her mind she pushed herself off the couch she had passed out on and dialed Jill's number.

Jill had not hesitated to give Sophie the hospital's address, and Sophie had Bethany and Kristal drive her there.

That's how she ended up here, tapping her foot impatiently as her gaze flicked between the clock mounted on the wall to her right and the door Jack --- as well as a multitude of other patients --- was behind like clockwork. She silently prayed to whatever god that would listen that her bean boy would make it through this alive.

In. Out. In. Out. In.

"Sophia Grandger?"

Sophie's head whipped up quick enough to make her mind shake.

"The patient, Jack Smith, would like to see you now." She saw the person the voice belonged to. It had come from a tall, blonde nurse with a skinny body and made up face.

Jill sent her a reassuring look as she pushed herself off her chair and stalked over to the nurse with her chin up, knowing she had to be strong for Sophie. The nurse, however, had different plans.

A hand shot out to stop Jill from going any further. "Just Sophia, miss."

After the surprise had passed, Jill's expression contorted into one of pure anger. "What gives? I'm his sister! We were literally in the womb together---"

"I'm sorry, miss, but we can only allow his significant other---" The nurse apologized.

Jill was having none of this. "What are you on about? Jack's about as single as an ice cube in the desert!"