EARLY SUNSETS OVER MONROEVILLE

III

III

Late dawns and early sunsets, just like my favorite scenes. Then holding hands and life was perfect, just like up on the screen❞►MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

THIS WAS BLISS. Serendipity. Absolute perfection. Nothing else. Just Bethany, smiling in the arms of a handsome man that she only ever believed existed in a fairy tale. And that's what this moment felt like- a fairy tale. A perfect story told to put smiling children to sleep. However, as it was with children's tales, it was too perfect to be perfect.

At the close of the song, Bethany turned around, breaking from Mason's grasp. A certain snarky teenager hadn't mocked her for too long. And a certain blue-haired friend hadn't whispered, "You go girl" in her ear for about as long.

"Bethany? Where are you going? Please don't tell me we have to run from evil again," Mason said behind her.

Bethany looked at him. His face wasn't upset at all. Bethany smiled. This was like an adventure to him. Well, he deserved an answer.

"No, Mason. We are not running from evil again," she spoke as she continued to walk away. Mason picked up his step to stand beside her as she talked. They reached the door of the hall that the ball was being held in. He held it open for her. As a courtesy, she replied, "Thank you. As I was saying, we aren't running from evil, I suspect that we are in fact running to evil."

Mason faux groaned, "Oh that's just dandy."

They were now walking in through a clearing into the woods. They were walking in silence, Bethany's mind working overtime.

There were a few reasons why Jack, Sophie, and Kristal would be gone. Jack and Sophie could just be sneaking out. After all, there weren't many twenty-first century teenagers in the party. In fact, aside from Jack and Sophie, there weren't any. Maybe they didn't want to bother her and asked Kristal to watch out for them.

Well, that was unlikely. Those two lovebirds wouldn't want to leave. They were completely contented with their situation, despite the fact that they were dressed for the wrong time period. Bethany would've liked to be oblivious of other people's opinions like that.

"Er, Bethany?" Mason asked.

"Yeah?" Bethany turned and saw Mason looking at her strangely. Had he been watching her like that the whole time?

"I would just like to apologize for my behavior earlier. It was selfish of me," he said with genuine feeling.

"Don't worry Mason, all is forgiven." Bethany smiled and stuck out her hand for him to shake, as a joke.When he did reach out his hand and shake hers, Bethany couldn't help but notice how firm his grip was. And how warm and soft his hand was. Like shaking hands with an incredibly soft cup of warm hot chocolate. Or maybe a tray of cookies, cooling after being taken from the oven. Or even toast, with butter melting and filling each nook and every cranny like a river that won't stop, and instead begins to drip over the edge of the crust...