Chapter Thirteen: Flowers

A/N Short/lame chapter but thank you for reading guys!

-Chipotle

"Louis?" I whisper as I shoot up from the bed. My heart in my throat.

"Hey Alexandra" he whispers back, a vase of flowers in my hands

"What are you doing here?" I look over at Harry and thankfully he's still asleep. If he sees Louis here he'll flip, and now that we've just begun to get along again I can't let that happen.

"I heard about the accident, I wanted to see how you were, I brought Harry these" He says handing me the vase full of colorful roses. A goofy smile spreading over his face 

"Thanks" I smile up at him taking the vase in my hands. 

"How have you been?" He asks taking a seat on the couch on next to the hospital bed. He shifts his body sideways placing a leg on the couch and letting the other one drape over the side. 

He's wearing black jeans, white vans and a red and white baseball style shirt. His hair is spiked at the front and falls slightly over his forehead. 

I set the vase on the table next to Harry's bed and take a seat next to Louis mimicking his position

"I've been better" I give him a small smile

"How's he?" He tilts his head gesturing at Harry

"He has swelling in the lower part of his spinal chord so he's paralyzed from the waist down, but with physical therapy and exercise the doctor says there's a possibility that in a year or so he'll regain feeling" I look down at my folded hands. If it wasn't for me he wouldn't need months of therapy. 

"That's harsh, I can't imagine what you guys are going through" He puts a comforting hand on my knee.

I look up at him, his eyes are the color of the sky when there's no clouds. A beautiful shade of blue. Something in them makes me feel a stirring in my stomach. He makes me feel something I've never really felt before. It's weird but a good kind of weird. 

"Thanks, for being here" I say placing my hand over his, not helping the smile that spreads across my face.

Harry's POV

I try to pull Alex towards me wanting to feel her close when lately she's felt so distant. It's mainly my fault for pushing her away but right now, when I feel like my world is falling apart, I need to feel her close and tell her how much I've missed her. When I reach over my hand falls on the stiff mattress.

I open my eyes slightly and am instantly blinded by the lights that hover over my bed. I rub the sleep from my eyes with the back of my hands and look over to my right. I feel the last drop of sanity I have leave my body as heat begins to make it's way up my body. 

"Alex?" I whisper so low I don't think she heard me. She's sitting crossed legged on the couch next to my bed, a smile plastered on her face. Next to her is a guy I don't even know but already hate. His hand is on her knee and her hands over his. She looks over at me and her smile instantly disappears. 

"Get out!" I try to yell at her but my voice is hoarse from dehydration and it comes out strained. 

"Harry" She stands up walking over too me 

"Just get out" Is all I can manage to say. Repeating the same thing over and over my voice rising in volume. I sound crazy but I don't care. Why is it everytime something good happens he always ruins it, why does she let him ruin it. 

"Hey listen bro" Lewis stands up his hands up in defense 

"I am not your bro" I spit back not taking my eyes off a very nervous Alex

"Alex I think-" 

"Don't! You do not get to call her Alex. You barely even know her! Or are you two fucking already after a month of knowing each other?" I interrupt finally making eye contact

"Sorry, but I'll call her whatever I want, and I don't think that's any of your business" He retorts

My anger has reached his boiling point and If only my fucking legs would work I would get up and break the smug smile on his face, but I can't. My legs are useless now, I'm fucking useless, and it's killing me. 

"Louis I think you should go" Alex squeaks. She's pulling at her hands the way she does when she's nervous 

"I think you should to" I smile in victory. She's on my side. She's mine. 

"I'll go too" Alex whispers 

I feel the my stomach flip at her words. She's leaving me, to go with him. 

I watch Louis make his way towards the door and Alex follow. She whispers something in his ear and he just smiles down at her, kisses her forehead and walks out. I cinge at their PDA and swallow the knot in my throat as I realize she isn't leaving. She closes the door and turns to face me. Tears falling down her cheeks. 

Alexandras POV

I watch as the nurses help Harry onto a wheelchair. I look away every now and again trying not look like I'm staring. Anne has an arm around me and is crying. 

When Louis left I wanted to yell at Harry for assuming we were doing anything. I wanted to yell at him for being rude but I didn't get the chance because Anne was Harry's third visit of the day. She asked a million questions gave him a million lectures and with the nurses and Doctors coming in and out of the room every ten minutes it wasn't easy to sneak a conversation with him either. So I decided to just let it go. Now I'm standing here watching him being placed on a wheelchair wishing it was me instead. 

"How does it feel Harry? If it's to small we can get you a larger one?" the nurse that looks like a mouse asks in a timid tone

"Fine" Harry's eyes meet mine "It's fine" He repeats

The nurse scribbles something on her clipboard and exits the room 

"I'm going to get some dinner, do you want anything Alex you haven't eaten all day" Anne smiles

"Um no I think I'm going to head home now that you're here but I can wait until you get back"

"Thanks I'll be back in a bit" She walks over to Harry kissing him on the head then leaving the room

I lean against the wall opposite from Harry 

His elbows rest on the arm rests of the chair, his eyes on mine. His eyebrows are pushed together and his eyes are pale green. The face he makes when he's thinking. It seems so crazy to think we are related in any way possible. His features are strong and defined while mine are curved and simple. All these years of knowing him and being with him, I should have felt something, a spark, a sign, anything letting me know our friendship has more to it. I never did, not until know. Why now?  How could I not have known? How-

My eyes go wide as the thought plants itself in my mind like a seed.

"What are you thinking about Alexandra Jane?" Harry's low voice startles me out of my own thoughts 

"I have to go" The words come out rushed and panicked. I walk over to Harrys bedside table and grab my keys and bag. 

"Alex? Alex wait" Harry tries to reach me but I'm out the door in seconds

I ignore the sound of his voice calling after me as I turn the corner at the end of the hall crashing into Anne.

"Alex are you okay?" Anne asks grabbing me by my shoulders. I must look like shit after going a full day not eating, showering or changing my clothes.

"Yeah I just, I have to go, Harry's okay" I walk past her not waiting for a response

I weave my way around the hospital following the signs at every entrance. My heart beats fast as my mind races at one hundred miles an hour I walk up to a woman with brown hair and glasses seated behind a desk. 

"I would like to order a DNA test"