Chapter Ten: Black Sweater

I beat my 7:30 alarm shutting it off at 5:30 a.m. I guess my brain didn't want to understand the concept of sleep last night. I spent most of the night tossing and turning in my bed letting everything from my first day of senior year sink in.

It's only been a day and so much has already happened. My best friend isn't my best friend anymore, my mother feels like a stranger, I didn't do my calculus homework. Fuck.

I drag my feet to the bathroom and stare at the girl in the mirror.

Harry will get over this. He can't be mad forever. He's never been jealous or never shown it at least. He didn't mean what he said. He couldn't have.

I try to lie to myself as I lazily try to put as much of my hair as possible into a ponytail. Loose strands fall on the edges of my face. Whatever. Leaving my face make-up less, I enter my closet slipping on a plain white T-shirt, light denim jeans and my gray Vans. I check the time 7:10, great, I have an hour to kill.

I walk over and sit on the floor next to my bed scrolling through my phone. No texts, calls, voice mails, nothing.

*Can I have a ride to school?*

It's a lame excuse but I need to make sure he's okay and tell him I was lying about the note. I know that lying wasn't the best way but at the moment I panicked and that's all I could think of.

I set my phone on the floor in front of me and bring my knees to my chest wrapping my arms around them and wait. Praying he answers.

Forty five minutes later I walk downstairs ready to take the bus.

"Did you eat already?" My mom asks as I reach the bottom of the stairs. She's leaning against the kitchen table with her hands wrapped around a mug. The smell of apples and cinnamon reaches my nose instantly.

"No, I'll just grab some breakfast at school" I hate school food

"How did things with Harry go last night?" she asks stirring her oatmeal with a spoon

"Um, it didn't go the way I thought it would" I avoid eye contact and make my way towards the door.

"I'm getting that new car today, so if you wanna take the car you can" She asks a small sense of taunt in her voice

I spin around almost loosing my balance.

"Seriously?" I ask lifting an eyebrow. She's never let me take the car to school, mainly because the last time I did that Harry and I raced to school and I got a ticket for speeding.

"Just no racing" She smiles tossing me the keys

"Yes ma'am" I say not helping the grin that's stretched across my face

I walk out into the fresh September air instantly regretting not bringing a jacket, but it's already 8:00 and I don't know how long it will take me to drive to school so I decide to just continue walking.

I turn the heat on high, switch on the radio and peel out of the driveway heading towards school. As I drum my fingers on the steering wheel to the rhythm of the song, my thoughts make their way back to Harry.

I wonder what he's doing right now. What if he didn't go home last night? What if something happened to him?

I reach the school in 20 minutes, I take the first parking space I see and sit in the car for a bit just too call Anne.

"Hello?"

"Um Hi Anne It's Alex"

"Oh, Hi Alex, How are you?"

"I've been better, Um I was just wondering If Harry made it home last night"

She pauses for a bit making my heartbeat accelerate. If something happened to Harry It's my fault.