Chapter 7

The next morning, dad woke me up after I stayed up late reading. I didn't mean to stay up until 3 am, but it happened and I can't undo it. I sat up in bed and groggily rubbed my eyes. I didn't want to get up, but I knew I had to eventually. I went through my morning routine and I had some pancakes that dad made.

When it was time to leave, I got into the passenger seat of the car and immediately fell asleep. Someone started to call my name while I was dreaming. It was a slight echo, but everytime they said my name the voice got more and more clear.

"(y/n)!" dad yelled. I sat up in the seat and looked around, forgetting what was happening and what year it was.

"Are you feeling okay? Do you need to stay home and rest?" he asked, looking at me with concern. I thought about it and looked at my new school, Pike River High. I really wanted to stay home and sleep, but if I stayed home today I would want to stay home every day after today.

"I'm okay. I'll call you if I need to go home," I said as I picked my bag off of the floor.

"Hey, who's Jonathan?" dad asked before I had left the car. I could feel my blood become cold and I sat there quietly, not knowing how to answer.

"While I was trying to wake you up, you said the name Jonathan so I was just wondering," he shrugged, "But I'm going to guess by your face that -"

"Dad, he's just someone I met yesterday. Please don't think anything of it," I sighed. Every time I thought about him, the image of his sleeping face came into my mind and I couldn't help but grin.

"Okay. I was just curious," dad said with a smirk. I rolled my eyes and left the car, saying goodbye to dad and telling him to have a good day. I stood on the curb and waved to him as he drove away.

While I walked into the building, I glanced over toward the large oak tree where the popular guys sat and talked. I noticed that Jonathan wasn't there with them, and for some reason I felt my heart sink. I didn't realize I was staring at them until Evan and Tyler both locked eyes with me. I quickly walked into school and went straight for my locker in hopes to find Sydney.

When I found Sydney, she was leaning against her locker as if she was looking for someone. She perked up when she saw me jog over to her.

"You look kinda scared," she chuckled. I gave a long sigh and I tiredly leaned against the wall with my head hanging low.

"I could've sworn that Tyler and Evan were following me after they saw me staring at them," I mumbled without looking up at her.

"There there," she said as she pat my head, "those vicious and cruel boys won't touch you as long as I'm here to protect you."

I looked up at her and grinned.

"I'm so glad. They honestly scare me a lot," I muttered.

"Yeah, I don't blame you. Last year, Evan got into a fight with a new kid and after they were both sent to the guidance counselor, both the new kid and the counselor had left," she said with an expressionless face.

"What?!" I yelled, startled by what she said.

"Yeah. The old counselor was replaced and we never saw him again. As for the student, I heard he transfered to some private school in another county," she looked down both ends of the hall, probably to make sure we weren't being stalked.

"But how on earth did Evan do that?" I asked as I began to fear him even more.

"His parents are pretty rich. He lives in the nice part of town where all the snobs live. His dad is a doctor and his mom is a fairly famous author. He's a spoiled little brat who gets what he wants at the snap of his fingers," she huffed angrily. I pat her shoulder to calm her down a bit, and she heaved a deep sigh.

The bell rang, and she put her backpack over her shoulder. We both walked down the hall until we had to go our separate ways. We both said goodbye and went on our way.

I trudged through my morning classes slowly. I was feeling rather sluggish today because I hardly got any sleep last night. It was accidental, but I guess if I was paying attention to the time while I read last night I wouldn't be so tired.

The lunch bell rang, and that was able to wake me up somewhat. I was so eager to eat that I quite literally jumped out of my seat.

I sat down at the table Sydney and I sat at yesterday, and she came over to me. She seemed energetic, which surprised me after she was so angry earlier that morning.

"Hey, homecoming is next Friday!" she happily spoke as she grinned from ear to ear.

"Oh," I replied in a monotone voice.

"Come on, you aren't excited about it?" she asked, disappointed by my reaction.

"Meh. I'd be happier if I had a date to go with," I shrugged and ate some of my chips.

"But you don't need a date to go. I'm going and I don't have a date," she replied.

"yeah, I guess that's true," I muttered.

"What are you not excited about?" she asked.

"First off: I'm not the kind of girl to be excited about wearing dresses. I can wear one if I have to, but I don't usually like wearing them," I said. She chuckled at me.

"That's not such a big deal. What else?"

"It's a bunch of puppy love/romance bullshit and I'm not into that sort of thing," I said with a look of distaste.

"There's a huge difference between romance and puppy love," she sighed, "But I agree that puppy love is bullshit."

"Then there's the issue of not having a guy to go with. I know I don't need a date to go, but it would be more enjoyable if I had a date," I added. When I said that, I looked over at Jonathan who was sitting with his 'friends' as they talked and ate. He seemed so uncomfortable to me for some reason. I quickly looked back at Sydney once I realized I was staring at him.

"Whatever. Those problems aren't too bad, so I think you should go to homecoming anyways," she playfully grinned at me.

"Do I have to?" I muttered.

"Pleeeease?" she asked, sounding like a child as she pleaded for me to go. When she realized that didn't make me budge, she looked like she was about to cry. I felt so bad that I sighed and said:

"Fine, I'll go."

She immediately perked up and smiled at me. I realized that she wasn't actually going to cry just then, and I felt like I had been played.