Chapter 13: Old Wounds and New (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

She beckoned to one of her hovering guards to fetch the visitor with firm instructions that she was to be brought only to Suchitra. She also dictated that the lady was not to be forewarned; if her assumption was that she would meet the Rana, all the better. Ratan Singh was away on secret state business, which his unexpected guest would not know, but she must not get to her brother-in-law either as he might facilitate a later meeting with the Rana. Suchitra was furious that this would have to take place in front of an audience but she had little choice, so she prepared herself.

A few moments later, Kalavati Das stood before the last person she had expected, the slightly coy look on her painted face replaced by one of disbelief. Her darting eyes took in the three strange women there besides Surekha and the hated Suchitra Shekhawat. Both women faced each other; Suchitra stayed seated in her baroque chair, looking every inch the regal queen that she was. She refused to address Kalavati, and it was the latter who felt forced to speak, uncomfortable but brazen.

"Rani Saa, I need to see the King."

"My husband is not here."

"In that case, I would like to speak to your brother-in-law."

"The King's brother is also not available. You may address me if you so wish, as in the Rana's absence, I am tasked with his responsibilities."

Kalavati's eyes flared with nervousness and she made a further token effort to resist.

"I will wait for the King's return."

"You see, Kalavati Bai," Suchitra placed a very subtle but effective emphasis on the derisory title of address she chose instead of the traditional "Bai Saa" that would have denoted respect. "The King will return at some unknown point, but an audience will not be possible." Suchitra slightly smiled, her eyes like glass. "I will ask again for the final time. Either state your business or be denied the opportunity forever. And rest assured, next time, it will not be possible to even make it to the door."

Defiant anger sparkled in Kalavati's eyes as she realised that she had made a grave error out of ignorance of the Rana's movements, but it was too late. The woman before her would not let her see him anytime soon, perhaps ever. She would have to try to get what she wanted with Suchitra, which was a totally different game to the one she knew she could have played with the king.

"My Lady, if you insist, I will tell you why I am here. Should we speak in private?" She cast a wary eye at the others, who stared with unabashed interest.

"Shall we leave you, Rani Saa?" Vijaya immediately offered, knowing full well that to send them away would be offering disrespect, something Suchitra would not do. Suchitra waved this away.

"Proceed Kalavati Bai, they are family and anything you need to say, can be said in front of them."

"Very well then, Rani Saa," Kalavati continued. "I will be blunt. I need the Shekhawats to make redress to me."

Suchitra arched her fine brow.

"I am afraid I don't understand, Bai", the repeated use of the derogatory title was not lost on anyone. "What wrong has been committed against you that needs redressing?"

"My daughter was killed by a son of this house." Kalavati's voice rose but Suchitra remained unmoved, her reply whip-like.

"Your daughter was found dead in very suspicious circumstances, yes. And you were more than compensated, woman. Leaving aside the fact that your unmarried daughter was with a prince alone whilst he was at battle, and was apparently part of some disgraceful elopement well out of her station, the Shekhawats have done far more than they should have. You were rewarded handsomely for the loss of dignity you and your girl caused, rather than being punished, which is what should have happened in my opinion. Yet you have the gall to return and demand more money, presuming that is all you are demanding?"

"My daughter was a victim of a traitor's plot. She died, my only child!" A theatrical wail ensued, as Kalavati played to her audience, all repelled, or fascinated. "She was tricked by a prince, the poor naïve girl. I myself reported everything to help foil the plot, uncaring of my own heartbreak due to loyalty to the Shekhawats. And this is the return I get? You taunt me, My Lady? Yes, I was paid a measly stipend, but I was banished from the palace and my life here. I have lived hand to mouth since and I am only back when I hear that the man who murdered my beautiful Maya has escaped justice and I continue to suffer. You cannot ..."

"Enough!" Suchitra rose, every line of her body and face proclaiming her sheer aura. Suchitra knew that the head of a snake must be crushed; the poison spewed would need to be drawn out after. Kalavati froze; the queen was not to be meddled with as everyone knew.

"You dare talk this nonsense to ME?" Disgust was etched on her noble face. "You speak of your so-called innocent child, pretending she was anything other than a trollop, just like her mother?"

An almost pin-drop silence hung in the air. The other women silently gasped, their eyes riveted on Suchitra, so unlike the gracious queen and mother they were used to. Suchitra raised her arm to silence Kalavati before the other could protest.

"Let us not pretend, Kalavati Bai, who once had a place in my personal retinue as Kalavati Das. A dancer, yes, but from a well respected family of our vassals in Bengal. You paid for my patronage by conducting an illicit liaison under my very eyes. You startle at that? Did you think I did not know? Or that I would never speak of it, especially in front of others? I am not ashamed. I did not disgrace myself. You did, as did the King. To top it all off, your oh-so-innocent daughter then set her cap at our son? Yes, I had you sent away - that was my will. My husband and brother- in-law saw fit to pay you as I know full well you made indirect threats to wag your tongue all over, and also because my husband had made a foolish mistake and wanted to buy your continued silence. But now? It does not matter anymore. You overplayed your hand, woman. The son you talk of has fled. The world knows, and you can bring us no more shame than what we already bear. Who will listen to your tale of old, as everyone knows it already, and the latest of his escapades is so much more dramatic? So let me now be blunt. Leave here immediately and never darken my door again. If you ever try to contact my husband, trust me, I will know. You were allowed last time to leave with the body of your dead daughter, but this time, it will be Rani Suchitra and not Rana Ratan Singh that you will have to reckon with. I control this palace, just as my husband rules these lands. Just as, due to your testimony, our son disappeared for so many years, you can too, should I wish it. Do I make myself clear?"

Kalavati was pale and shaking but realised it was pointless to say anything else to her royal nemesis. Surekha had an almost viciously satisfied look on her face and Keerti looked avidly interested at this exchange, her eyes speculative. Padmavati looked slightly horrified, and Vijaya still retained the same steely composure that marked Suchitra herself, although deep understanding lay in the depths of her eyes. Knowing she was bested, and having no choice but to stopper her hatred and humiliation, Kalavati resolved that one day she would ensure Suchitra Shekhawat paid for all she stood for, and had done.

Author's Note: Hello you dear people. Here is the first instalment of this week, the rest of-course on Friday. Again, not a part on Aaryan and Siya but as warned, other scenes and characters have to be given their day. I had truly enjoyed writing this part - there was something satisfying about expressing through a strong woman like Suchitra, given her circumstances in the story:). How many of you thought she was "kick-ass"?! *Wink* I certainly did:). Anyway, please vote, talk, and share as you feel like. I do read all comments with gratitude and interest, even if I cannot reply each time. See you all Friday.