Chapter 29: Prelude to the Battle

MORRIE

MORRIE

The fidgeting forest seemed endless. We had been walking for God knows how long already, following the green paint marks left by Faye, a sly Adlerian and one of Sean's teammates. I heard she was hiding in camouflage so the enemies wouldn't detect her.

Aiden and Jacquelyn were four trees ahead of us, sneaking behind the trunks in every turn. Sean positioned them at the frontlines so we would be informed if the enemies were approaching. Once they spotted someone, they would chirp like birds as a signal.

Wilhelmina and Locke were walking side-by-side with us. With an improvised bow in hand, the Watsonian could scare away anyone using his twig arrows. Locke, on the other hand, would hit anyone approaching our direction using the long stick he found lying on the ground.

How about me and Sean? We were keeping an eye on every movement in the forest. Besides the eerie silence, only the rustling of leaves and chirping of birds could be heard by our keen ears.

What we needed was perfect timing. Sean and I were working together, but the moment we found what we had been looking for, we would turn against each other. The trick was to ensure that my team makes the first move first.

"We didn't expect to be ambushed by the other team kanina," Sean said in a voice that sounded like a whisper. "We were caught off guard kaya madaling nakuha ng kabilang team ang clue namin."

"I thought different clues were assigned to each team?" My right foot almost got tangled by a vine on the ground. "Professor Dred said so before we left the starting point."

"Tama, iba't ibang clue," he nodded. "Kaso hindi mo maiintindihan kung ano ang ibig sabihin no'n dahil kapiraso lang ang makukuha mo. Hindi n'yo ba nabasa o nakita ang inyong clue?"

I shook my head. We had to thank Andre for that. "Before we could have read what was written, the other team threw a smoke bomb and stole it from us."

Sean touched his chin, his dark brown eyes went into deep thought. "Sa tingin ko, hinati sa tatlo ang clue tungkol sa susunod na challenge. Each team has to steal the other team's piece of paper so they will have a firm grasp of the hint."

"If that's the case, then Joanna has the complete clue."

Sean looked ahead. "Yes, but I doubt na didiretso sila kung saan ang susunod na challenge. That woman knows that we can follow them wherever they are heading. Baka maisip niyang iligaw muna ang sumusunod sa kanila."

These people were taking this game too seriously, huh? But that made it more thrilling. A game without challenge isn't worth playing at all.

Just when we were about to climb what appeared to be a hill, we heard man-made chirps coming in front. We quickly hid behind the tree trunks and waited as the sound of footsteps grew louder.

"Don't worry, hindi kalaban ang nakita namin," Aiden hissed as he and Jacquelyn walked past our tree. When we emerged from hiding, we saw a young woman drenched in the color of mud, only her eyes weren't covered by it. If she stood beside a tree, one wouldn't notice her immediately. This must be the Adlerian sent by Sean to spy on the enemies.