(Ch 7) It Started With A Surprise

Start from the beginning

“We’re just… err…” I started again, all three pairs of eyes on me now, as I stumbled to find the right words.

“We’re just having fun.”

I jumped in my seat at the familiar voice that came from behind me. I turned to face Scott; a neutral expression covered his face.

“Fun?” this was from Riana, who looked unconvinced. “Aria doesn’t have fun in that sense. No offence.”

“Maybe the old Aria,” Scott stated taking up the vacant seat next to me, “But the new one, she does.” He winked at me.

I felt my cheeks blaze. “He doesn’t mean what you’re thinking.” I sent him a dirty look. “He just means that we’re not putting any labels on what we are.”

Everyone was silent. Well that dampened the mood.

“That’s… cool.” It was said a bit uncertainly, but I was still grateful Blaine had spoken up, breaking the tension in our little group. “Aria’s trying something… different.”

“Yeah, I guess.” I could hear the uncertainty in Riana’s voice. She had a smile on her face but I could see in her eyes she didn’t like what she was hearing.

Well. I’m certainly going to get an ear full later.

The tension at the table was stifling and truthfully all I wanted to do was run right out of there, escape the constricting feel of my best friends’ glares and obvious disapproval. I definitely didn’t have to look at Tommy to know he wasn’t too fond of Scott or his claim that we were having ‘fun’. The annoyance was rolling off of him, making me cringe.

I looked at my half eaten burger and felt none of my earlier interest for the mouth watering meal. I was about to make my excuses and escape when I felt a hand encircle mine, giving it a squeeze of encouragement. My eyes met the dark, fathomless black of Scott’s. On his face I could read everything he communicated to me.

I felt the corners of my mouth tug into a slight smile of thanks as I squeezed his calloused hands back.

Seeing the new found courage in my eyes Scoot turned his attention back to the others.

“Tommy,” he started, “You got anything good for assignment yet?”

For the first time since Scott joined us my eyes connected with Tommy’s. I could clearly see the disgust and annoyance he projected toward Scott. I sent him a pleading look to keep the peace. I didn’t want them fighting, especially not over me.

He seemed to get my message, his expression softened somewhat. “Yeah, I might have something.” His voice was cold. “Aria here helped me make a decision.”

“She did, did she?”

My eyes anxiously flickered between the two guys. The chilly glare Tommy sent Scott was enough to rival the threatening look Scott sent right back. I swear if we were still the unevolved species we’d once been, these would have jumped right on the table and fought until only one was victorious. But thankfully we have evolved and they knew the consequences should they be caught fighting.

“I’m going to get a soda.” I announced suddenly, jumping from my seat.

Scott made a move to stand as well. “Here let me get that for you.”

I shook my head. “No, that’s fine. I’ll be right back.”

Scott nodded and before anyone could say anything I made my escape.

At the drinks table took my time to consider exactly what I wanted, when all I was really doing was stalling. I wasn’t thirsty, not by a long shot, but this seemed like the best excuse at the time to get away.

It Started with Skinny JeansOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara