Chapter 24

Louis Armstrong Airport 📍

Rico and Alexis sat in the overcrowded airport waiting for their flight to Chicago. With it being the holiday season, everyone had somewhere to go. It was early in the morning and Alexis was super tired. Her and Rico played iMessage games to pass the time.

"You cheating, son." Alexis tried to look at Rico's phone.

"No, I'm not. You just don't know what you doing." He pushed her head back.

"I'm not playing you back then, cause I haven't got any of my balls in." She locked her phone.

"You a sore loser." He smacked his lips.

As Alexis complained about losing, the gate agent got on the intercom to announce the flight to Chicago would be delayed due to trouble with the planes engine. Alexis sighed because she was tired of sitting there. It didn't make a difference to Rico so he kept quiet, plus he'd rather them fix the problem then get on a plane with issues.

"Go get me something out the vending machine." Rico told Alexis.

"Huh. I'll just go in the store cause I want some snacks too and I guess we'll be here for a while." She stood up.

Alexis walked into one of the stores in the airport and browsed the snack and drink section that was set up. She picked out some Voodoo kettle chips along with a few candy bars and two triple X vitamin waters. The cashier rung her out and then Alexis went back to where she was sitting.

"Play me back." Rico said as he opened the bag of chips.

Alexis played Rico back in eight-ball while eating her snacks. They sat there for another two hours past their scheduled departure. After what seemed to be forever, the gate agent announced that the plane was up and running properly. Everyone then got in line and boarded the plane. Rico got the window seat and Alexis sat in the middle with a stranger next to her.

"You scared?" Alexis asked.

"No, I'm bout to go to sleep. That way if something happen, I might not even know. So don't wake me up until we get there." Rico got comfortable in his seat.

"Don't say that. Ain't nothing gone happen." She nudged him and then tightened her seatbelt.

Rico slept for majority of the flight, but Alexis kept bothering him because she was bored. Once they landed in Chicago, he looked out the window to see the ground covered in snow. Living in New Orleans it was rare for it to snow and they hadn't seen much of it before. Like he said he would, Rico bought a coat for the trip. The only thing Alexis had on her arms was a small hoodie and she didn't bring much to protect her from the winter coldness.

"Son, I never seen this much snow." Alexis looked out the window.

"Bet you wish you would've listened."

"I'm sure it's not that bad."

They got off the plane and Alexis caught wind of the chilly air. She shivered a little as she walked into the Chicago O'Hare airport. The two of them then went to baggage claim to pick up their suitcases. Rico pulled out his blue Northface coat and put it on before walking outside.

"You sure you don't want to put my coat on?" He asked Alexis.

"No, I'm good." She said before stepping outside.