Chapter 4

Rico sat on his front porch eating crawfish, enjoying the fact that he didn't have anything to do today. He had gotten off work at four in the morning so all he wanted to do was chill. Finishing his meal, he gulped the remainder of his pineapple flavored cold drink.

After going in the house to wash his hands and throw away his trash, he went back outside and scrolled his phone. He noticed Alexis sent him a text two hours ago so he opened it to see what she wanted. It was a picture message of her clean health status. He snickered and read the message she added to it.

"I told you I was all clean." She sent with a set of eye emojis.

He began typing and then erased his message. Rico thought about what he wanted to say and then he went into the house to send her a picture to prove she wasn't the only one free of any STD's. Ten minutes later Alexis had read the message, but didn't respond. Rico called her because he'd rather talk on the phone.

"Hello?" Alexis answered.

"I guess you passed my background checks." He spoke into the phone.

"Boy." She laughed.

"You tryna come over or what?" He looked in his dresser for a box of condoms.

"I don't know where you stay."

"Two houses down from your people. Come through and I'll be outside waiting."

"You don't want to come to my place? I'll give you the address."

"Nah, son. I ain't tryna leave the house, love." He still had thoughts about her trying to set him up.

"Okay, I'll be over there."

Rico loaded his gun and brung the box of condoms in the living room. He figured if Alexis tried any funny stuff, he'd feel more comfortable in his house than a new environment. He's not trying to end up on the news as a missing person. He put away his money and also put a towel on the couch in case things got messy.

About an hour later, Rico watched Alexis walk down the street with her head down. She had on sunglasses with shorts and a sports bra. Her natural hair was in a ponytail and she looked like she didn't want anyone to spot her. Rico looked around the neighborhood at all the cars to see if anything seemed out of the ordinary.

"How you doing?" He spoke.

"Hey." She rushed into the house.

"Hold on, baby. Where your car? You walked over here?" He still looked outside.

"I parked down the street. I know too many people over here and I don't want anyone in my business." She took off the sunglasses.

"Let's get this over with then." He pulled the gun from his pants and eyed her long legs.

"Damn. Can I get something to drink first?" She made herself comfortable on the couch.

"Lawd, girl." Rico was ready to get straight to it.

He went into the kitchen and poured Alexis a cup of water. When he came back she was looking all around at everything. Rico handed her the water and he watched her slowly drink it. He scratched his head in confusion. He thought they were on the same page, but Alexis was playing.

"Where's your roommates?" She asked.

"I don't have no roommates." He wanted to push the cup to her mouth.

"You live alone?" She looked shocked.

"Not that that's important, but yeah." He answered.

"That's nice." She nodded and drunk more water.