Chapter 17

Today is the day of Alexis' interview and since her car is still in the shop, Rico agreed to drop her off. He came over to her parents house while she took her time getting ready. Alexis walked around her room in just her bra and underwear as she figured out what outfit to wear for the tenth time. Rico looked at his phone and shook his head.

"Should I just stick with those pants and that shirt?" Alexis pointed to the outfit laying on her bed while plugging up her curling irons.

"You haven't done your hair yet? Just comb it out."

"I'm going to fix the front and that's it." She moved a little faster.

Alexis fixed the curls in the front of her hair and applied a little edge control. She dabbed some perfume in the creases of arms and put some Vaseline on her lips. Then she grabbed her clothes off the bed and put them on. After that she fluffed out her hair and took a look in her full body mirror. Once she was fully dressed and ready, she took a selfie to promote a hair company that pays her.

"You look like you straight out the 70's with those bell bottoms on." Rico joked.

"Should I change? You think this top is interview material?" She second guessed her decision.

"I'm playing, keep it on. You look nice." He stood off the bed and kissed her.

"Greasy ass lips, girl. You gone be late." He wiped the excess Vaseline off his mouth.

"Okay, lets go." She grabbed her purse and resumé then walked out her room.

Her and Rico went out the door and into his car. Alexis was a little nervous because she really wanted this job. Out of all the places she applied to, she only heard back from a few and the interviews led to a dead end. Tati personally knew the person interviewing her so she was hoping that she put in a few good words. In case the employer tried to do any social media lurking, Alexis made all her accounts private because there's no telling what dirt they could find.

Once Rico made it to the interview location, Alexis got her things together and prepared to get out the car. Before opening her door, Rico told her she would do good and gave her some words of encouragement. That made Alexis feel ten times more confident.

"I guess I'll stay out here since I don't know how long it'll take you in there." He said while moving her hair out of her face.

"I'll see you when I get back. Keep your fingers crossed." She smiled while biting her lip.

Rico watched Alexis go inside the building and then he said a quick prayer for her. He prayed that this would go right because he knew Alexis needed all the positive news she could get right now. And if it didn't go right, he prayed that she wouldn't give up on her search. He wanted to be as supportive as he could because no one was really there for him when he was trying to get some money.

About forty-five minutes later, Alexis walked back out of the building. Rico spotted her coming to the car with her head down and a blank expression. She got inside the car and Rico waited for her to tell him how everything went. Alexis didn't make eye contact while Rico was trying to read her facial expression.

"Sooo?" He asked because she kept quiet.

"She told me they'd call, but she was being rude the whole time." Alexis shrugged.