Chapter 11

Rico threw his luggage in the trunk of his car for his weekend trip to Memphis. He was becoming more serious about trying to move out of New Orleans and wanted to see what Memphis had to offer. Rico was ready for a fresh start and new opportunities in a different city.

"Son, I hope you ready. I'm on my way." He spoke in the phone to his cousin, Ken.

Rico got inside his Camaro and wiped the rain off of his arms and face. He took the bandana Alexis got him off his wrist and tied it around his steering wheel before starting his car up. He then proceeded to pick up his cousin, Ken and then his close friend, Beanie. Once both of them were in the car, Rico hit the highway.

"My pops finally let your ass have a weekend off, huh?" Ken asked from the backseat.

"Yeah, I been talking to him about moving. He support it so he said to take all the time I need." Rico answered.

"When you plan on leaving?" His friend asked.

"I don't know. Maybe next year, maybe in two years. It depends on how all of this goes and if I seem to like it there." Rico shrugged.

"You taking your girl with you? Y'all been going strong for what, three months now?" Ken had jokes.

"I met her like last week, she cool as hell." Beanie stated.

"How come I haven't met her yet?"

"Because you always got some shit to say about her. Ain't no point in bringing her around you."

"I be bullshitting, I do wanna meet her though. You spend buku time with that girl."

"I guess. Honestly we might not even last that long. Her brother dumb as fuck and its kind of like I'm dating a high schooler."

"Ignore his ass, let him know he ain't stopping nothing." Ken told him.

"Oh, most def. She just think I only want her for sex and that's not the case, but she really don't have nothing going for herself. Y'all wouldn't understand, but I want more for her. I know she can do better than what she doing." He opened up a little to them.

"She young, potna. Of course she ain't got nothing going on. Everybody not a go getter like you." Beanie told him.

"That's why I'm still with her. She good people and she get along with my mama and Rianna, which is a plus. I think over time she'll get it together, at least I hope so."

The conversation about Alexis went on for a little longer and then Rico focused on driving. The ride from New Orleans to Memphis was about five and a half hours long. Halfway there, Rico stopped to get some gas and then let Beanie drive the rest of the way. While he sat in the passenger seat, him and Alexis sent messages back and forth, even face timing for a bit to pass the time.

Leaving Louisiana, going through Mississippi, and entering Tennessee, the five and a half hour drive wasn't as bad as Rico thought it would be. Beanie parked the car in the garage of the Hyatt and then they entered the hotel to check in. After paying for their weekend stay, the three of them received room keys and headed to the fifth floor.

"Rico, you sleeping on the couch." Beanie stated.

"Bitch, no I'm not. Between you and Ken y'all better choose cause I'm sleeping on one of those beds." They got off the elevator and approached their hotel room.

"Whoever makes it to a bed first, sleeps on it." Ken said as soon as he unlocked the door.

"Y'all got me fucked up. I didn't want to share a room with y'all duck asses in the first place." Rico shoved Beanie, tripped Ken, all while tossing his bags on the first bed and jumping on it.