Chapter 44

"So what was it like working with the rebel group?", Pidge asked curiously. He leaned over the arm of the lounge room couch.
The others all lazily slouched around, happy to take a break from their wild adventure on Earth.

Matt took a sip of the space juice he'd been given.

"It was quite interesting actually", he replied, "Refugees and exiles came from all over the universe to join. Most were trained as soldiers, but more innocent ones were sent to help the sick."

"We're there any cool ones?", Lance piped up lazily, "Like pew pew punch punch?"
He gave a little demonstration from his stretched out position on the couch, punching at the air.

Matt glanced at the Hybrid standing in the shadows.

Kipper was staring off, deep in thought. One hand rested on Piflin's head next to him.

There was one...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Private Holt, you'll be training with DiNicolo today."

Matt looked at the gangly kid standing in front of him.

Kipper looked at him with anxious eyes, hesitantly putting up his fists.

Matt chuckled.

He's a kid. I can just take him out with minimal damage. I might even get a promotion in rank.

The trainee instructor blew into a long horn, emitting a deep bellow that signified the beginning of the match.

Matt put up his fists.

This is going to be so eas-

A steel toe roundhouse kicked him right in the side of his face, sending him spiraling to the ground.

The horn sounded again. The fight was over.

Kipper cracked his knuckles and knelt down. He grabbed Matt's hand, helping the man up.

"What's with the smirk?", Matt asked.

"You underestimated me because I'm smaller", Kipper snickered, "Fatal move when you're dealing with someone who was bred specifically for war."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kipper was an outstanding fighter", Matt said after a moment.

Kipper scoffed under his breath, his dark eyes narrowing.
"I'm flattered", he chuckled sourly.

Don't think compliments will win me over, Holt.

You know I can't stand you after what you did.

"Excuse me", Kipper muttered.
The tall teen walked out of the room and wandered into an empty corridor.

Kipper stuck his hands in his pockets.

I hate that he's here.

I mean, I'm happy Pidge has his brother, but for the love of the gods, did it have to be Matt Holt?!

"I assume you two don't get along?"

Starlin stepped out of a room, glancing at Kipper in a way that suggested she knew everything.

He laughed scornfully, "That's putting it lightly."

"Well, you aren't usually this grumpy. So you better learn how to hide your emotions before others interfere with their opinion."

Kipper tilted his head, smirking at his cousin.
"You really are stone cold."

"Emotions are tiring and revealing. Learn that."

"How's Dane?", he asked, wanting to change the conversation.
Starlin sighed and smoothed out the skirt of her dress.

"He's healed", she replied, "Healed but blind because his god forsaken father stabbed him in the eyes. The other children are keeping him company."

Kipper peered around her shoulder, and looked forlornly at the little boy lying in bed with Delilah and Peter Brandon beside him.

Poor kid...