Chapter 7

Sopheline was returning from her private training session.

The seven year-old was looking forward to seeing her sister Kophelana after so many hours of separation.

But when the guards shoved her into her cell, she was met with a different sight than she anticipated.

Kophelana was sitting in the middle of the floor, sobbing her little head off. She was violently clawing out her hair, and she had scratched her arms to the point of bleeding out onto the floor.

Sopheline rushed to her twin's side, screaming.

"What's wrong, sister?!", she asked frantically.

At the sound of Sopheline's voice, the little girl began to cry harder.

Both of the little girls were diagnosed with what most people called "bipolar depression disorder" when they were younger.

Violent cycles and mood swings were common, but more so in Sopheline. Kophelana had always been the one to calm her sister down, but Sopheline didn't know what to do with her sister.

Kophelana was supposed to be the outgoing one. Not this.

The younger twin wrapped her arms tightly around the other.

"Kophie!", she cried out, "What's wrong?!"

Kophelana looked up. Her eyes were wide and bloodshot.

"Cut my hair!", she pleaded.

"What?!"

"Please! I don't want to be a girl! I'm weak as a girl! I want to be a boy so I can protect you! All of the other girls are so much prettier! If I were a boy, I wouldn't have to worry about being pretty!"

The older twin curled into her sister's lap as Sopheline ripped off parts of her dress to wrap around Kophelana's arms.

"What's going on?!", a voice hissed.

The two girls fearfully looked up into their aunt's face.