Twenty Two

"Georgia, mail for you."

"From?"

"The doctors office."

Georgia jumped up from the couch and sprinted to the living room, wrenching the mail from her mothers hands.

"Is that what I think it is?" Her mother asked, standing up.

"I think so." Georgia mumbled, tearing the envelope open. "Dear Ms Walters," she read out loud, her heart beating loudly in her ears. "The results of your DNA test for Bailee Rose Walters have come up inconclusive. Unfortunately, the swab did not detect any form of DNA besides the child's own. This means we will need to see you and the potential father immediately for blood work. Please come see us as soon as you can. Regards, Dr Joseph Harris, MD."

"Oh, Georgia." Her mother sighed, rubbing her forehead.

Georgia threw the letter down on the table, and made her way to the kitchen where Bailee was playing with her Dinky cars. Georgia picked up her child and made her way to the porch,  pulled on her old pink converse and swung the door open, taking her phone from the pocket of her denim shorts.

She placed Bailee in her car seat and buckled her in safely, her hands trembling with anger and nerves. She closed the door and leaned against it, dialling Zac's  number.

"Georgia?" He answered, sounding confused.

"Yeah, hi. Listen, are you home?"

"No, I'm-"

"You need to meet me at Family Medical Clinic, right now."

"What? For what?"

"I swear to God if you don't meet me there, your life will be in my hands-"

"Okay, calm down, Georgia. I'll meet you-"

"You'd better." She snapped before hanging up. She hopped in the drivers seat and backed out of the driveway, her knuckles white as she gripped the steering wheel.

"Where we goin', Mama?" Bailee asked, her little hands folded in her lap.

"Back to the doctor, baby girl."

"Do I get a lollipop?"

"If you behave, yes."

"I be good, Mama. I be good." Bailee nodded, a big grin on her face. That big grin reminded Georgia so much of Zac that it almost made her sick. She pulled into the parking lot to see Zac's truck already there, and him leaning on the driver door waiting. Georgia's breath caught in her throat; Zac wore light wash jeans, blue converse and a tight black tshirt. Georgia didn't know whether she wanted to punch him in the face, or tell him to have her in the back seat again. Damn you, black tshirts, she thought to herself.

Georgia got out of the car, unbuckled Bailee and hoisted her up on her hip.

"What's all this about?" Zac asked, scratching his head.

"You'll know once we get in there." Georgia responded, walking ahead of him. Zac couldn't help but notice the swing of her hips when she walked, her long wavy hair cascading down her back, and the tight black tank top she wore that rose up, leaving a slim line of bare skin visible. He shook his head to get rid of his thoughts but it was nearly impossible.

As they approached the front desk, Georgia passed Bailee to Zac. They went off to the children's corner and began colouring together. The nurse asked Georgia if she had an appointment.

"No, but I need a DNA test done ASAP."

"Sorry, ma'am, you'll need an appointment."

Georgias left eye began to twitch. "I don't have time for an appointment. I need it done right now."