stable pt2 (carl g.)

plot- reader decides to go get help for her mother and leaves her little sister with her

word count- 1955

warnings- angst

With that, my mothers breathing ceases to be. Her chest stops rising and falling. My mother dies. And I don't know why I'm so shocked. I knew this would happen. But that doesn't stop the shock from enveloping me tightly and not releasing me from it's grip. I can sense a presence approaching me but I don't even care, even if it is a walker.

A hand lands on my shoulder and I turn to see Carl, his expression one of deep sorrow. Maybe he's lost his mother too. "Y/N.." he begins.

I stand up and immediately fall into his arms. He holds me tightly and I'm glad he is because if he doesn't I might just fall apart. If I were to just collapse, I'd fall apart, all of me scattered among the floor. Maybe that would be better because at least then, I wouldn't have to feel. 

We stay in each others arms for what feels like some time. But eventually, we have to release and I automatically scan the room for Jess. I don't know how she will handle this. I know myself and how I "cope" with trauma and tragedies but I'm still figuring Jess out. Our father died a month after Jess was born so she didn't really have to deal with his death.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry." Maggie speaks, her voice soft as to not harm me further. But she won't. I don't think I could possibly be hurt anymore. But the world has a fucked up way of proving me wrong.

"I'll go do it." Rick says in reference to what I assume is making sure my mother doesn't come back as a walker. I simply don't have the energy nor mental capacity to stab my mom in her head. Rick soon comes back, his head bowed as he enters the hallway which we've been standing in.

"You want me to show you and Jess to your room?" Maggie quietly asks. I nod, not trusting my voice to make it through a coherent sentence. Jess and I follow Maggie to a random house, on a random street and in a random neighborhood. As of now, I don't know where the hell we are besides the fact that it's called Alexandria.

"So, you are sharing a house with Rick, Carl and his little sister Judith." Maggie explains. Right before she is about to leave the house, she stops. "I'm not gonna tell you that everything's gonna be alright because I can tell you're smarter than that. What I am gonna tell you is that I'm here and so is everyone else. We're with you. You're family now Y/N."

"Thank you Maggie." I rasp.

"By the way, there are some clothes on your bed for you and Jess." she adds.

Jess starts up the stairs, her eyes falling on all the small amenities we thought we would never again see in our lifetime. Eventually, we come upon a room that we will be living in. It's your typical, middle class, suburban bedroom. She walks in and instantly takes an outfit from the bed and retreats to the bathroom.

I'm left to my thoughts and there's no escaping them. They devour my mind and I'm now curled up in a ball on the floor. For the past couple of days my main objective and job was to take care of my mother and now all of a sudden, she's gone. She entered this world screaming and fighting and she left it silently.

Since Jess is in the shower, I take this time to completely unravel. My hand covers my mouth to prevent any noise from escaping. She can't see me like this. I'm all she has left and she depends on me to be strong. To be stable.

"Y/N?" I hear someone gasp. I turn to see one other than Carl standing in the doorway, his breathing heavy and ragged. "I heard a crash or something.." he trails off, most likely referring to me collapsing on the floor.